Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Neck Through 5 String necks (Playability)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Nov 4, 2002.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm currently talking with another fellow TBer about possibly trading my MIA Jazz 5 Deluxe for an LB75. I'm wanting to do this because of the neck through design which I love and the fact that I've heard Carvin necks are extremely playable. Any opinions on Carvin Neck through 5 string playability? (I don't want to hear anything about the trade...just your opinions on the playability of Carvin Neck Through 5 string necks ;)
    Thanks and looking forward to your feedback.
    -Bazz-

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I recently got a Carvin LB75 fretless and am quite pleased with it. 1 3/4" nut and 3/4" spacing at the bridge is a good combination for me. The neck is very fast and has a good shape. The B string is tight and the J pups give me all I need. Good balance with no dive. I be hanging on to this one for a while.
    Doc

3. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I've been very happy with my LB75, purchased in '97. Five years now, and no axe GAS! I only wish that I'd opted for string-through-body, as the B string is a little wobbly on mine, and some players have mentioned that their string-throughs are tighter. Still a joy to play. The wide asymmetric neck option has a good feel. Carvin necks are exceptional! There is a good review at Bass Player Online. Click on the "GEAR" section and look for "5 string shootout" under gear reviews.

4. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I've got a pair of LB75s, one has the standard neck and is all koa wood, the other has a wide 5-piece maple/koa neck.

The narrow neck is pretty easy to maneuver around on. The low B on that axe isn't the best, but I think that's mostly because the koa wood is very light.

The wide-necked beast took some getting used to, but right now it's my favorite bass. It has a VERY solid low B!

Both necks are kind of thin front-to-back. I would actually prefer a little more "meat" on the neck profile.

See them both here.

5. My LB75F has one of the most comforatable, smoothest necks and boards I have ever played. The Tung Oil finish is smooth and fast, and the ebony board is just wonderful.

6. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Thumbs up on the neck. I've had two Carvin LB75s with the wider neck option. Very playable. Rock solid. The ebony board is rich.:)

7. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Just took a pic of the fiver.
    Doc

8. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Guys...Thanks for all your feedback (and pics!) on Carvin 5 string neck playability! I appreciate it!
    -Bazz-

9. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I've had my LB75 for about four or five years, and I've been quite happy with the neck.

Some may find the string-spacing a little tight (fine for me), but there is a wider neck option you can get.

Overall, very playable and very comfortable. And I just like the way a neckthrough sounds.

10. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    ...The way a neckthrough sounds...

I know what you're saying. I love my Jazz Deluxe 5 but I love the way a Neck through sounds/feels as well...plus to me they feel so much more solid...hard to describe. I played a Ric for years and got so used to the "solid" feel of it that no bolt on has really ever satisfied me since...no knocks against bolt ons...it's all a matter of personal preference. I don't think either is better than the other...I just think certain bassists get used to one sound/tone/feel over the other.
    -Bazz-

11. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I have yet to find a neck I like better. I have the wider neck option, 3" at the 24th fret, 3/4" string spacing.
    K

12. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    I've got one too on my LB75P, and I agree 100%.

Very playable and comfortable! :)

13. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I like the neck on my 75F very much. It is a tad thin front to back, but I like the string spacing and it is a fast neck. I've never played a fretted Carvin though.

14. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I've owned 4 Carvin's and the neck's are really fast.
    I'm not crazy about the tone. I think it would be worth while to change the pick-ups and electronics.
    It is a good bass for the money especially if you buy one used.

15. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Hi Jeff,

Were yours before they went to the 18v electronics? To some extent, I'd agree if that's the case, but for the past few years, they've really got their act together in that area. I've got a 2001 LB75P with 18v electronics, and man, the last thing I'd complain about is the electronics. Just curious....

16. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I think the 18v setup is just for basses w/ the P option...

I had one for a while recently and it did sound really good. I'm glad I tried one for myself, because I didn't find the HB4 p'up offensive in the least. That's just me though...

17. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Yes ,
    The Carvin's I owned were 9 volt . I have not heard the 18 - volt version. That's good to hear because I like the fit and finish of the Carvin basses.