Carvin Neck-Through / First Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by GrooveWarrior, Feb 14, 2005.

1. My brother-in-law is a very good woodworker (for 23), and he gets it genetically. He is getting ready to build his first g#$%ar.

He ordered one of the Carvin neck through pieces because he knew he didn't want to try to make a neck on his first try. Does anyone have any experience with the Carvin neck-throughs? Are there other places that sell completely finished neck-through pieces?

The wood he ordered for the wings is Mahogony back/core, 1/8" Maple, 1/8" Wenge, and a 1/4" Curly Redwood top from Gallery Hardwoods. I think he will do well. He is going to glue up a mock version to practice carving on. Unfortunately his dad moved away and took all of the great woodworking tools away. What brand or kind of chisel's are good?

If this turns out well, I am definitely having him make me a bass. Any help is appreciated and I will keep you posted on the progress.
  2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    My personal preference for chisels is the Japan Woodworker.
  3. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I started out making a guitar from a Carvin neck-through and then a bass from a carvin neck-through.
    Makes things A LOT easier and it still feels 'custom made' in the end. Carvin makes quality stuff. Stew-Mac sells the neck through blanks, but I believe only for guitar, and not for bass.
    I'm sure if he has fun doing it, then he'll want to tackle trying to make a neck by himself. If you're that age (23?) it's really nice to have a family member that's into what you're doing. That's the age I got into this luthier stuff, and at 27, I'm SOOOO glad my dad stands looking over my shoulder 'supervising' and my uncle who is a mechanical engineer actually gives me SOME positive feedback on the few instruments that I have produced.
    Be Supportive in any way!
  4. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    here's a pic of my very first guitar............made from a carvin blank.
    p.s. Don't worry.....that control cavity cover has now been replaced by a quilted maple one that looks much better and matches the quilted top.
  5. Thanks for the info. That looks great. My brother-in-law drew up some designs and he is pretty good at it. I knew he was a good artist as well, but I was really impressed with his ideas.

I'll keep you posted.
  6. Here's what we have so far. Neither of us are Schechter fans at all, but the 006 body shape seemed to creep in there. I think it looks good so far. The redwood top on the upper (bass) wing cracked on glue-up. We don't know why. The wood seemed real dry and brittle. We got it from Larry at Gallery, but it looks kind of bad with the cracks. We might be able to fill them with some glue and sawdust to compensate. We have a skilled woodworker who is going to look at it and see if there is anything else we can do.

I'm nervous about carving around the cutaway's. What kind of chisel would we use there?
  7. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    What type of carving are you wanting to do?

If you want to round over the body edges, use a router table with a round over bit and do the body wings before you glue them on.

For doing the belly and forearm contours, or other types of body carving, I use a variety of rasps, files, and scrapers. I start out with a couple of "cheese grater" type rasps as well as a regular rasp for quick removal of a lot of material, then I have some nice files to take out the rasps marks, then I follow up with a variety of scrapers and 100 grit sandpaper. I check my work, and if more needs to be done I start over with the rasps. Often, I'll do the first time carving down to the 100 grit sandpaper, and then leave it until the next day and check it again in the morning when my hands are fresh. I especially do this when carving my necks.

I have several sets of small multi-shaped files and jewelers files that I use for small detail work, especially around areas where the neck joins the body. The only thing I use chisels on is roughing out the neck heel, but once I get it close with the chisels, I then move to the rasp/file process.

Take your time, slow and steady. It is better to take your time and do it right than to hurry and have to do it over.

8. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    good luck with the redwood!! I gave up on using it and sold a very nice piece I had. It dents very easily. Is it stabalized?
  9. Is it standard to round over before you glue them up? We had debated and said we thought we should glue them up and then round. I guess we will discuss it again.

Are there any specific types or brands of rasps and files that you feel work better?

Thanks, and any other suggestions will be very helpful!