Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Neck Thru Bass Blanks

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ejsagun, Jun 20, 2004.

1. ejsagun

ejsagun

Jan 20, 2003
    Hey guys!

Has anyone here built a bass using Carvin Neck Thru Bass Blanks??

If so how was it? Can you guys give me your opinons about using this in bass construction.

Im trying to build My first project bass and i want to use this

Comments and Opinions are welcome

2. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I built a 5 string bass using the Carvin neck thru piece. It was really simple and it's a great neck. All I had to do was slap on some ash wings and BAm! ANyway, I really screwed it up though. I learned how important it is to double check for scale length. I had built a guitar using a Carvin neck piece and when you get these necks, there's a tiny hole towards the bottom where the bridge should be. It was at the exact correct scale lenght on the guitar neck blank, so I ASSUMED it would be for the bass. I cut my pickup cavities and had it all strung up, but couldn't figure out why the strings weren't long enough because the wrapped cloth part started below the nut!! Hmmmmm, I said. THen i got my tape measure and found out that I had a 35.5" scale bass on a 34" scale neck!!!! OOPS!
    You live and learn. I'm tempted to burn this bass in a fire, but if I got it strung up and everthing it might sound really good. THe frets and ebony board are great. Carvin has good quality stuff. I just totally lost interest in this project. Plus the bridge i got for it was like 3" wide, and the strings were almost coming off the fingerboard. You need the skinnier bridge that Carvin/Hipshot/or whoever makes.
    I'd recommend the Carvin neck, the guitar i built from the Carvin neck turned out great!

3. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    here's the guitar I built using the Carvin blank.