Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carvin necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by graceonbass, Sep 19, 2000.

1. graceonbass

graceonbass

Sep 19, 2000
    Hi, this is my very first post here. I've been playing a couple years now and I'm looking for a bass that's really comfortable to play for someone who has small hands like myself (plus the fact that it has to have versatile sound). I tried the Stingray 4 string today and I love the neck with the satin (?) finish. I've tried some other basses but I was wondering if any of you Carvin players out there could tell me what the neck is like on the LB70/75's? What are they similar to? I'm from Canada and I haven't had the chance to play one yet. Thanks

2. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Welcome. You've come to the right place. Lots of great players at all levels, and lots of good information shared.

To your question, I love my LB75. My hands aren't particularly big, and I've always been partial to the slim neck on my '78 Fender J-Bass. The LB75 is quite similar in feel and string spacing. As to versatile sound, the Carvins come with a selection of pickups (J-style single coils, J-style stacked humbuckers, and Musicman-style humbuckers). Got mine for under $900 w/case, custom color, shipped!

[Edited by jcadmus on 09-19-2000 at 04:15 PM]

3. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    The Carvin neck on my LB70 is tung oiled (this is highly recommended as it makes the neck very fast and silky smooth). The neck is a lot smaller than my P-bass, but the string spacing is still very good and easy to slap, pick, whatever. The fretboard is fairly (but not completely) flat with a very nice ebony surface and good fret work. The neck-thru is a very nice item on the LB70 as it allows the bass to be "closer" to you and allows foe very easy access to the highest frets (which I use a lot).
    Carvin makes a quality instrument for a great price with many options that you can customize. Just be prepared to wait about 2 months or so for your bass to be made. But for me, the wait was worth it as I can call the bass mine (due to all of my custimization options: tung oil neck, original sunburst finish (very nice), strap locks, J99/HB2 pups, black hardware, matching headstock, rounded body sides, etc.)
    I hope this helps.

-KB

4. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Well, I've gotta chime in on this too, of course.

I'm no pro (yet), just a guy who likes to play, but I truly love Carvin necks. For ME, they have the most comfortable feel of anything I've ever played (if tung-oiled - the painted ones are kinda "sticky"). There are things I can do on it that I can't even approach on say, a P-bass or a Warwick. Even a regular J-bass neck feels clubby to me now.

To be honest, I think one of the prejudices against Carvins is that they are relatively thin, light basses. And I think many bassists believe that in order to have a big sound, they have to have a huge chunk of wood strapped around them. I don't buy that philosophy. And for the price range (under a grand), IMO Carvins are seldomly matched in terms of playability and versatility of tone, and absolutely unbeatable in construction. Some folks may not care for their sound (that being particularly subjective), but I've never heard a complaint about their playability/construction.

However, a bass that is CLOSE in playability and price that you mind find in your area is the Peavey Cirrus. The MM Sterling is also close, but it's at least $500 more than a totally tricked out LB70. Reverends have been getting rave reviews around here as well, but I've never played one myself.

My $.02.