Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin..Oh..Carvin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WillySanchez, Jan 6, 2002.

1. What is the deal with the carvin r600's, and r1000's, are they any good, how do they sound, are they loud? I am looking to buy one. I have been sucked in by carvin, I love everything about them, if anyone could help me out, I'd be very grateful.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The operative root word here is "suck." Naw, naw, naw ... just kidding. I've played through a bunch of them and they're a lot of amp for the money. Lots of EQ possibilities on board ... maybe too much. JBPlayer can fill you in. I think he broke his foot (or somebody else's) on one.

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Do a search on Carvin there's a ton of info about them on this board.

I really like my R600. Plenty of power, versatile eq, and great sound. The noise gate is useless though.

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I'm right there with Phat Ham... I like my RC210 fine. I also find, like many others here, that the heads tend to perform better than the cabs... I do find the cabs acceptable for the price though.

-robert

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Been using both R heads for some time. Have owned quite a few other makes and have played through way more.

To me, The major upsides are:

- cost per watt
    - dependability/construction
    - tonal flexiblility and control
    - low weight
    - thick metal knobs

The downsides are:

- Extremely hard to read your settings onstage; if the stage is dimly lit at best, I have to guess
    - lack a strong, "signature" tonal character like SVT's, Edens, Aguilars, et al.
    - Noise Gate is pure suckatation/useless
    - Compressor is so-so
    - Crossover range isn't what I'd like (200Hz minimum :confused: )

Service is a toss-up. I haven't needed it for the heads but having to send one half-way across country wouldn't be much fun.

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Love the heads, don't love the cabs. Depending on what you're looking for, something like an R1000 into an Eden D410XLT could be a killer rig.

If you spring for the head, I'd suggest going for the R1000. It's, what, $80 more, and it's 400 more watts. This of course doesn't mean it would be nearly twice as loud (volume doesn't work like that), but you would get a good bit more headroom, which is good.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Not to stomp it into the ground, but what Richard says is dead on;

- I've run my R heads bridged into a combo of an Eden 210XLT combined with an Eden 115T pushing those cabs, bridged. It performs quite nicely! It feels like someone is slugging you in the chest as long as you have the "right" bass, the "right" strings" and the - "right bassist".