Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin ohm ratings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirk, May 30, 2001.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Has anyone wondered why Carvin doesn't make their 2 10 available in an 8 ohm model and their 4 10 available in a 4 ohm model. I wish they offered a choice. Is there anyway we could ban together and change their minds?

Dirk

2. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

8 ohm drivers !
    if carvin used 16 ohm drivers it would work fine.but the two 8s=4ohm and the 4x10 is run as two 4ohm a side to =8ohm But the amps are rated at 4 ohms!

3. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Yeah - the main thing that's silly is their 2x10 (4 ohms) can draw a lot more power from their amps than their 4x10 (8 ohms), while only being able to handle half the power! I agree - if they used 16-ohm drivers, the 2x10 could be 8 ohms and the 4x10 could be 4 ohms. It would be much more sensible. I bet they've even lost some business because of this. I have to protect my 2x10 a bit, because a lot of low end out of my R1000 can (and actually has) damaged a 10" driver in it. The impedance is too low for the size amps Carvin offers.

My impression (wrong as it may be) is that Carvin's amp (electronics) design people are really "with it" for the most part, but when it comes to speakers, ummm (or ohmmm).... not quite. They're not bad, per se, just not up to the quality of their electronics, IMO.
    - Mike

4. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Well, my main problem is not the fact that the 4 10 is 8 ohms, but I would prefer an 8 ohm 2 10. It would be much more sensible if they offered a choice between the two on both cabs. It would make sense because depending on how you're running the cabs you might need them to be different ohm ratings. Anyway, that's just my opinion.

dirk