Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Options

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basslax, Jan 15, 2001.

1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    what finish options are on this model LB70?? looks really cool and if i were to go w/ carvin i would get this finish.
    [​IMG]
    thanks

2. Go to http://www.carvin.com it will give you all the info. I've got a lb70, ALL BLACK hardware and all. Love it!!!!

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I see what you mean. It can be hard if you're looking at their website, even on a decent monitor, which is why I got their print catalog before I ordered mine,(a cherry sunburst on quilted maple).

It's the tung oiled mahogany. The clear gloss looks close but isn't as rich looking. Also, mahogany has a much more auburn color in the print catalog, which is truer to mahogany than the brownish looking color on the website.

Why don't you get the harlequin primastique, post a picture here, and gross us all out? :D

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    UHmm
    Gold Hardware, Koa Wood Sides with Maple neck with Gloss Finish.
    Thats what it looks to me.

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

[​IMG]

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sounds right to me.

I had an all Koa (which I don't think is available anymore) LB75F with oil and black hardware. Nice looking bass.

7. John Weigel

John Weigel

Aug 19, 2000
    I have a new LB20 (got it in October) which is all gloss mahogany -- body, neck & peghead. It's a California hotrod: no frills, no trim. But mostly it is LIGHT! I played a friend's koa LB90 (discontinued model) for years when he & I got together, and I always loved the light weight. When I finally sprung for my own, the koa option (it's still in their catalog) had jumped to $200 so I went for the $60 mahogany. Very similar weight, but of course the koa is prettier. They also have alder & swamp ash options which are said to be light but those are like blond maple in color and I like the brown better. How do I know all this? I spent a long time deciding what my was going to be like!
    John

8. rickbass

noatduane- Thanks you for that bit of putridity. I guess there are some folks still doing acid who will order this.

Basslax - why don't you e-mail Carvin and ask them which wood/finish is shown in the model bass? That's what customer service is there for. Based on my experiences with them, they reply in a reasonable amount of time.

9. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Maybe Carvin wanted to appeal to Metal God (poser) wannabes?
    Maybe it can hypnotize chix in the front row? ;) (more so :p ).

10. rickbass

notduane- When I was looking for a new bass this past November, two of the leading contenders were Carvin and Spector. I also ran into this. (Maybe these choices say something about me;I went for the cherry sunburst quilted maple, though); http://www.ssdbass.com/NewFiles/holo.html

11. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Yup. It says you got somethin' that looks good to you :D
    I used to be a diehard "natural" finish devotee. I figured for the same
    price as a solid color, with natural they couldn't cover up knots, streaks,
    whatever. Therefore, they had to use a better grade of timber.

Hmmm...come to think of it, 3 of my 5 basses are "natural".
    I guess old habits never die ;) .

I was just goofin' anyways. It's all good! :) .