1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin Options

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basslax, Jan 15, 2001.

1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    what finish options are on this model LB70?? looks really cool and if i were to go w/ carvin i would get this finish.
    [​IMG]
    thanks

2. Go to http://www.carvin.com it will give you all the info. I've got a lb70, ALL BLACK hardware and all. Love it!!!!

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I see what you mean. It can be hard if you're looking at their website, even on a decent monitor, which is why I got their print catalog before I ordered mine,(a cherry sunburst on quilted maple).

It's the tung oiled mahogany. The clear gloss looks close but isn't as rich looking. Also, mahogany has a much more auburn color in the print catalog, which is truer to mahogany than the brownish looking color on the website.

Why don't you get the harlequin primastique, post a picture here, and gross us all out? :D

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    UHmm
    Gold Hardware, Koa Wood Sides with Maple neck with Gloss Finish.
    Thats what it looks to me.

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

[​IMG]

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sounds right to me.

I had an all Koa (which I don't think is available anymore) LB75F with oil and black hardware. Nice looking bass.

7. John Weigel

John Weigel

Aug 19, 2000
    I have a new LB20 (got it in October) which is all gloss mahogany -- body, neck & peghead. It's a California hotrod: no frills, no trim. But mostly it is LIGHT! I played a friend's koa LB90 (discontinued model) for years when he & I got together, and I always loved the light weight. When I finally sprung for my own, the koa option (it's still in their catalog) had jumped to $200 so I went for the $60 mahogany. Very similar weight, but of course the koa is prettier. They also have alder & swamp ash options which are said to be light but those are like blond maple in color and I like the brown better. How do I know all this? I spent a long time deciding what my was going to be like!
    John

8. rickbass

noatduane- Thanks you for that bit of putridity. I guess there are some folks still doing acid who will order this.

Basslax - why don't you e-mail Carvin and ask them which wood/finish is shown in the model bass? That's what customer service is there for. Based on my experiences with them, they reply in a reasonable amount of time.

9. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Maybe Carvin wanted to appeal to Metal God (poser) wannabes?
    Maybe it can hypnotize chix in the front row? ;) (more so :p ).

10. rickbass

notduane- When I was looking for a new bass this past November, two of the leading contenders were Carvin and Spector. I also ran into this. (Maybe these choices say something about me;I went for the cherry sunburst quilted maple, though); http://www.ssdbass.com/NewFiles/holo.html

11. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Yup. It says you got somethin' that looks good to you :D
    I used to be a diehard "natural" finish devotee. I figured for the same
    price as a solid color, with natural they couldn't cover up knots, streaks,
    whatever. Therefore, they had to use a better grade of timber.

Hmmm...come to think of it, 3 of my 5 basses are "natural".
    I guess old habits never die ;) .

I was just goofin' anyways. It's all good! :) .