Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Options...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZenBass, Mar 30, 2004.

1. With so many options avavible through Carvin and various differnt body styles, pup configs, exotic facings etc etc...its all very confussing...

What would ppl here consider to be the ulitmate Carvin....That can live to the boys..that looks really pro and sounds awsome...

What would you get?...

2. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    The Claro Walnut series looks pretty sharp. As for sound... well, for some people the big sticky point with Carvin is their pickups and/or electronics, but those can be replaced (I replaced mine with Barts.)

3. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Get as little as you can, it doesn't matter that much to the sound..........but get the Bunny Brunel model, Claro Walnut, double MM humbucker with coil splitter for each pickup and birdsey maple fingerboard, you're set to go:)

4. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Just had the B-4 shipped in three weeks ago. Ash body, maple neck. Thing sound SWEET throu my SVT. $700.
    the neck through stuff gets all the press. I am an old fart and feel more comfortable with a bolt on... :D I Know they dont have the sizzle like other big name "custom" shops do but I love mine and think the tone is killer for the $700 that I paid.
    And better yet the bass was not sitting in GC for a month getting beat to hell by a bunch of Flea wanabes. They have a 10 day money back to so if you get it home and hate it send it back. :bassist: I was a real skeptic about Carvin but I think now that they make a great ax for the money.
    Keep the Funk Alive!!!!
    over heard today at Guitar Center "....dude, that sound alot like that dude...whats his name?......oh yeah...that jam dude
    Jerry Garcia. Didnt he like die of something?"- I feel old. :rolleyes:

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    The only option that I would say is critical for me is a 5-piece asymmetrical neck with tung-oil finish.

If I were to order one today...I'd get a XB75...I'd probably get dual j99s, a no show quilt top with a hot finish....

6. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    As you'll see there is no ultimate body style...there are fans for each type. Its all personal preference. :D

7. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    How do you like the piezo on your bass? I think I don't have any use of it in mine:(

8. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I don't use the piezos at all. I don't like them, at least not with the strings I use. The magnetics sound much better. For those so inclined I reviewed my Carvin in the Gear Review section. Later...