Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin or Ampeg Head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XPshychoticXPyr, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Ok i think im gonna go with either a carvin or ampeg head...now carvin has great prices with ampeg alot more expensive...but ampeg provides very nice tone to my ear anyone know bout carvin...good bad yes no?

-Vince

2. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I have a carvin, and i like it, but if you have the money, i think an ampeg would be better tone-wise.

The carvin, though, is probably more versitile, and might have more power, depending on which ampeg you pick.

3. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    buy a carvin and a tube preamp

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IMO, Carvin R heads are one of the best deals on the market - super versatile, tons of tone shaping control, and incredibly rugged.

But if you're talking one of the top-of-the-line Ampeg heads, I'd probably go for an SWR for that kind of money.

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Go Carvin.

6. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Ampeg!!!

7. I'm not too familiar with Carvin, but I've owned ampeg and here is my advice. If you want the "big" deep sound or the oversdriven sound, then ampeg is where its at. It has tons of lowend.

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    CAR-VIN!

9. Danny R.

AMPEG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    CARRRRRRRRRRRRVIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNN

11. Danny R.

AAAMMMMPPPPEEEEGGGGG!!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Come on Polly, don't look at me like that:rolleyes:

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Unless you really have to have the SVT sound, which I haven't heard duplicated elsewhere, I would get the Carvin. To me, the B4, B2 etc. aren't all that. And if you do get the Carvin, I suggest spending the few extra dollars and getting the R1000 rather than the R600.

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'm shocked and amazed that people here are recommending Carvin over Ampeg. Its like a Ford and a BMW to me. Carvin's good cheap gear for casual musicians, and Ampeg makes solid, pro-level amps.

I've tried a Carvin R600 just recently, and wasn't at all impressed. I really had to spend time with it to tweak out a good sound - a view shared by BassPlayer Mag's review, BTW. All the bells and whistles in the world don't mean squat if you HAVE to use them to get a good tone. Ampeg gear is fairly plug and play IMO. You get a pretty good sound right out of the box, and a great sound when you tweak it a bit.

And I'm not biased . . . I use an Eden pre and Aguilar cabs . . .

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

And which brand of power amp??? :D

(Yep, I peeked at your profile).

15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Simple--different strokes for different folks. I've never heard an Ampeg that sounded all that great to me. You couldn't pay me to play an SVT, for example--I just don't dig them at all. And I can get a great (to me) sound out of an R600 with next to no tone tweaking. I mean, no graphic, one button punched in, and a very slight movement of the bass knob.

For the record, I play Eden at the moment as well. I've played my WT400 side by side with an R600, with the same bass through the same very accurate cab (Acme), and I don't think the WT is better than the R600 across the board. <ducking to avoid the wrath of the Edenites who punish heretics such as I> It does some things better and others not as well IMO. At the same time, I compared an Ampeg B2 to the other two amps, again with the same bass and cab, and I didn't think it sounded nearly as good as either of the others. I would take the WT400 or the R600 on a gig; I wouldn't take the B2 if I could help it.

But all this is of course a matter of personal taste, and it just kinda highlights the subjectivity of the whole tonal thing. As my dad used to say, that's what makes horse races. Everybody's got an opinion; you just have to beware of confusing them with facts.

16. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    An erily timely thread for me...

I spent a good bit of time yesterday becoming quite fond of the Ampeg B-4R. I used to have an SVT 350H (the head version of the B-2R) and while I loved its tone, I felt that it was underpowered for my needs. The B-4R has essentially the same preamp (with some added features) plus two B-5R power amps in the same box.

Just this morning I received an email from Carvin announcing that their bass amps are on sale. The sale price of the R1000 is $600 plus shipping ($30 IIRC). The R1000 has the same power ratings as the B-4R and nearly the same features...for less money new than what used B-4Rs go for.

I've never played through the Carvin although a friend of mine has a R600 that I'm going to have to check out. He owned another Carvin previously and was quite happy with it moving up to the R600 for more power.

Being a bit frugal, the price point really has me messed up. I do love the tone of the B series Ampegs though.

I guess my ultimate recommendation is to trust your ears...

17. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I have both - an Ampeg SVT-IV and a Carvin R1000

I must say the Ampeg's tone is much better than the Carvins, for my personal taste. The Ampeg has the drive and growl, and shows off my Zon Legacy's tone, my EQ is pretty flat depending on different rooms.

The Carvin does sound good, lots of punch and clarity. The R1000 has some good power too and lots of tonal options. It sounds good for my Clevinger electric upright.

I've had issues with my Ampeg head though. So far no problem with the Carvin (but its only my backup head and for upright)

18. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH

Actually, I recently bagged my Carvin DCM2000 power amp for a QSC 3002, just haven't updated my profile . . . . Much lighter, more powerful, cleaner, better features (low 30 and 50hz cutoff switches).

I've previously owned a Carvin bass, a Carvin power amp, and a Carvin practice amp. Fine gear for the $$$, but I wouldn't say any of it held a candle to other, slightly more expensive pro-level gear.

19. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I really like the Ampeg sound, but I bought the R1000. It is powerful and reliable, and it sounds great when run flat with the bass boost engaged. If I had more money and a roadie, I would probably play through an all-tube SVT, but the Carvin has great sound, dollar for dollar. You can make great music with either brand.

Eric, do you judge a musician's talent by the amp they use?

20. you can never go wrong with carvin or peaveythese days, especially with their prices.