Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin or Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ikickuintheballs, Jun 20, 2001.

1. How are the Carvin and Ampeg heads and cabs. I've been thinking of either selling my hartke 3500 or Genz Benz 212t-xb. What would you recommend?

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    how does your Genz Benz 212 sound

3. xHarperx

xHarperx

May 8, 2001
    hey Get ampeg!!! I have a classic/svt ampeg cab and I love it!! but the ampeg pro is were it's at I say you should get and ampeg SVT-pro head and and an apeg pro 410 HLF it sports huge ports on the bottom. it's got so much bottom on it you really don't need at 15"!!

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Between the two, I prefer Carvins. Still plenty wide and warm if you set them right, but to my ear a better EQ scheme and better highs overall. But if you dig that particular Ampeg family of sounds (which I don't especially, because they aren't really my thing), then get an Ampeg.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you've got the extra cash, like the characteristic Ampeg "thud" and aren't slaphappy/pophappy, go with the Ampeg, IMO.

Bang for the buck, versatility, and more glassy high-freqs, go with the Carvin.

Personally, I'd like to have both. Different tools for different jobs.

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I just sold my current rig..
    It was a Hartke 2000 Head running on an Ampeg SVT410HE...

Now, I have the posibility to get either an Ampeg rig or a Full Carvin Stack..
    It goes like this:

Carvin Rig:
    Carvin R1000 Head Unit
    Carvin 4x10 RedLine Cabinet
    Carvin 1x18 Redline Cabinet

Ampeg Rig
    Ampeg SVP-PRO Bass Preamp
    Carvin DCM1000 Power Amp
    Ampeg SVT410HE
    Ampeg SVT115E

What do I play?
    Progressive Metal/Progressive Thrash
    Techniques: Tapping , Slapping , Hard Fingerstyle (Steve Harris like), Normal Fingerstyle.

Bass I use: Cort Curbow 6 String, Custom Omega Bass 6 by David Pushic, Cort Curbow 5 String Fretless.

SUGGESTIONS..
    I need to know what direction to take right now...
    Tone advise, not brand advise.