Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Or Ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Dec 16, 2002.

1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
  2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    That Ampeg gets good reviews and I like their combos. Carvin makes good enough heads, but their combos and especially speakers suck (IMO)

3. Ampeg. Most people vote for what they have, but in this case, I'll vote for the one I don't have.

I don't like the PB-200. It sounds poopy and quiet without using my external ampeg pre and QSC poweramp.

4. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I say Ampeg.

5. lostcausebass

lostcausebass

Oct 29, 2002
    I like the versatility and the price tag on the carvins. From what I've played of the Ampegs, they earn their price tag, but then again, so do the carvins. I just like it how you can get a 1000 watt 8x10 rig (or a 410 & 115) for the price of an ampeg head. I can't see paying more than 3 grand (or 3 times as much) for a rig that's half the power, and in some cases, (you HAVE to admit, you know the BIAMPING, the CABINET OPTIONS) less versatile.

IMO.

Still, the Ampegs have a great reputation. However, reputations are built on countless favorable experiences, and with me, the carvins are gaining quickly.

6. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    well out of all the reviews i've read on most combo amps the carvin and ampeg always were the highest rated but on most of the ampeg reviews they said it's good but the tweeter buzzes.

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I like the Ampeg B100-R better than that BA15. But I would take the BA15 before the Carvin PB200.

But I do like the Carvin RC210. :)

8. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    do carvins just really suck or something?

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Nope, I like them a lot. But I like Ampeg more. ;)

10. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    so basically if i just asked "should i get this carvin?" you would say yes, but compared to the ampeg you would say go for the ampeg?

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Yeah. Carvin is a good brand. They sound good and are reliable. I was a very happy Carvin owner.

But my Ampeg rigs have really talked to me. The combo of an Ampeg rig + Jazz bass creates the bass sound that I hear in my head perfectly.

12. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    yeah i've known ampegs good name way before i heard of carvin, but do you know if the tweeter on the ampeg buzzes a lot? because that's what i have heard. and i'm going to be depending a lot on the tweeter and i don't want it to be a bad tweeter.

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hmm... My main experiences with Ampeg have been without Tweeters.

But I know, that my RC210 had no issues with it's tweeter. That is a bit bigger and badder than the PB200 though. ;)

14. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I have had no tweeter buzzing from any of my Ampeg cabs, or Carvin cabs for that matter. The only Carvin cab I have owned for bass has been my 210 wedge and I love it. It's been a real work horse. Maybe I got lucky but my Carvin 210 doesn't suck at all.

15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Either one would be a good choice but I'm also more into Ampeg stuff, even though I use an RL210T with my SVT-410HLF. :)

I agree 100%.

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    no they dont just really suck.

IMO for the money they charge for their product they cant be beat.

Ive been playing a carvin for a few years now, and Ive never had any complaints about my tone from anyone. IMO they dont sound bad at all.

Ive never had a reliability issue from them either as I have other companies. Their construction is 2nd to none and of good quality.

17. I don't think you'll get burned with either. Without playing them it's a tough call. It might be easier to get service on the Ampeg do to the fact that they have brick and mortar dealers with in store techs.