Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin or mtd

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenderboy, Sep 24, 2002.

1. fenderboy

fenderboy

Jun 21, 2002
    Just wondering what the majority prefers. personally im about to purchase a carvin i love the sound but, i rather have a buckeye burl or maple burl top but sadly i dont have that kind of money.

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    umm.. MTD anyday over carvin.. Its not fair to compare the two

3. Uhh wow...yeah, that's not really a fair comparison.

4. MTD if you can afford it, but Carvin also makes nice basses IMO if you're on a tight budget.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    True ... if you're talking USA manufacture. But not necessarily, IMO, with the foreign-made MTDs. To me, the Kingstons etc. are very good but not quite all that, and a good Carvin is at least in the same league--for some tastes better, for others worse, and for still others a tossup.

6. This is true, but I was assuming he was talking about the US MTDs since he mentioned buckeye burl and maple burl tops.

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    What, you mean you can't get buckeye burl on a $600 import?! ;)

My duh.

8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Personally, I'm not a fan of Carvin in general and I considered buying a Carvin bass for a loooonnnngggg time. I don't like the neck width (or lack thereof) toward the headstock and I can't stand the spacing on their 6-strings (if that's even an issue here).

Otherwise, their stuff just always underwhelmed me, electronics-wise, hardware-wise and feel-wise. Of course, it's just my opinion and yours may differ greatly.

I have never played a USA MTD, but I actually like the MTD Kingstons better than the similarly-equipped Carvins. I just like the construction more. And when it comes to sub-$1000.00 basses, the imports from Korea, Czech and Japan have made HUGE strides and are comparable (at least) to many of their American counterparts, IMO.

9. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I think the best comparison would be the grendel to a carvin. The grendel is a nice bass. Maybe the heirs, but I haven't playd one.

Putting a carvin against my us mtd is pointless.

10. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Motown
    DPCustom

You get A LOT of bass for the buck! Ijust ordered mine yesterday and got a wonderful deal!!!

definatly at least take a look!

11. MTD of course.

12. fenderboy

fenderboy

Jun 21, 2002
    Ive checked dp out. there good and all but, isnt there like a 8 month waiting period or something. Plus ive never tried one out so i wouldnt know how they sound.

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"Carvin or mtd"

As a former Carvin owner, I almost have to think you're kidding. Carvin pickups can't even be in the same town as the superior MTD electronics.

Carvin tone is like making love with your socks on.

14. Bingo...that explains why I ripped out the carvin electronics in my fretless BB.

Very true.

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

And that comes from a man who make whoopass motersikkels!!! The Big Dog!

16. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Ok, let's say I was a studio artist had about $4000 in the pocket and needed 4 basses, a 4 string, 5 string, 5 string fretless and a 6 string, I would get myslf 4 Carvins instead of one MTD, however if I had all the money in the world or just needed one bass I'd get MTD or something similar, It's just a matter of perspective:cool:

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I OTOH would get a used MTD 635, a nice used P Bass with flats and a used Musicman fretless Stingray 5. I'd have about $500 left over for strings and stuff;)

Can't say I understand buying three fretted Carvins, it's not like they sound different. Might as well just get the 6.

18. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    you're wrong....hehe;)

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I could be;)

20. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Different woods and different pickups.......
    I don't know, I was just trying to be practical;)