Carvin or Musicman?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J4KO, Mar 13, 2005.

1. well its the time of year that i am considering to get a new bass
    ... im juss wondering if i should get a carvin b4 kit with a lot of the options included... or a musicman stingray4..... so...

I know getting the kit would be much cheaper, but it takes time to build and also have to paint it too... so

which would u prefer sound/money wise
  2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Bongo. I rarely don't recommend Carvin but in this case...Bongo or Sterling.
  3. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I have a Carvin, and a good friend had a Stingray for a long time.

Carvin pros: customizable, less expensive, wide variety of options, beautiful finish; can be lightweight if you choose the right wood. Available as passive or active.
    Carvin cons: basic JB sound (although versatile), some people don't seem to like their neck profiles; can be heavy if you don't choose the right woods.
    Stingray pros: very well made and finished, high quality instrument (not necessarily more so than Carvin)
    Stingray cons: you gotta love the Stingray sound, because that's what it does. They are ALL heavy. Active only.

My Carvin is solid mahogany, and much lighter than a Stingray. I've always played Jazz Basses, or copies, so the sound is what I'm used to. It won't do some of the things the SR will, and vice versa.
  4. nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Carvin = no resale value, so be sure to factor that in as well
  5. Get a MusicMan. You won't regret it.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have had very little real experience with Carvins but Bongos are sweet and they are not super expensive. You can get a dual HH or a SC/H for pretty much the same as a Carvin and I know for a fact the Bongo will sound great.
  8. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Carvin is my thing and Music Man is not, but given those options it would be hard not to go with the Sterling, I guess it would come down to what options are included with the kit.
  9. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I'm more of a Carvin guy. Never met a MM that I particularly liked. I don't really understand all this obsession with them.
  10. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    The sound.
  11. Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    I purchased a used Carvin LB70-P last year. I didn't hold on to it for very long though. It sounded good but it wasn't anything special. I sold it for what I paid for it. I've only played one other Carvin Bass and, while I liked it, I wasn't excited about it. I don't know what model it was.

I used to own a MusicMan Sterling. It was a fantastic instrument! I sold it to finance another gear aquisition (an Tacoma acoustic guitar I still own and love so no loss). I now own a MusicMan Bongo 4 HH and it is an exceptional instrument!

I'd go for the MusicMan.
  12. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I just ordered a Carvin kit, a basic passive fretless 4-string though. I'd say go for the kit if you enjoy (or think you'll enjoy) putting together an instrument (which I do). And if you have the patience. ;)
  13. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    If you like that MM flavour(I DO!) then I'd go for it. It's been my experience that Carvin Basses don't really have much tonal personality. If you are looking for a fairly clean, transparent sound, great looks and a personalized touch and Carvin may be cool. If you are looking for that classic, well defined, bite of a MM then you know what you need to do..
  14. sambass

Apr 15, 2003
  15. My username speaks for itself.
  16. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    My vote Musicman Sterling
  17. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
  18. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    There ya go
  19. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    One of my buddies has a carvin lb75, and also a 4 string fretless. Both (it has been a while) as I recall were very very nice instruments especially for the money. Very well finished, nice fretwork... But overall, it wasn't my thing. If you like them though, you won't be unhappy I think with the Carvin. That being said.. I have 2 Sterlings, and a Bongo on the way! ;)