Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin or QSC?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassJunkie730, May 30, 2005.

1. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    OK, so I'm a little clubbing rock band (no staduims yet). And I've pretty much settled on the Schroder 1212 For my cab choice (after long long long deliberation). i think it's my best bet for the big 15 sound of the 70's while still having the cut to be heard. My question lies in my power amp choice. Right now I have a QSC PLX 1602. Now I would REALLY like to run it bridged, But I have apprehensions with the Schro being about to handle more than 600W of its rated rms power. When I get the 1212 - i'm going to get the 2 space rack option int he top of the cab. to me that's a great idea cause i can leave my cab and power amp at the studio and take my U5 and bass home. Why am I not getting a crest ca4? or ca-6? two things - weight (I'd rather rack a 20lb amp in the cab than a 40lb amp.) and depth (the crest's are too big for the schroders depth of 16")

So with those restraints. I'm back to the old conventional power supply versus switching supply dilemma.

My questions.

Can the 1212 handle 1600W RMS?

Should I get a Carvin DCM 1000 if it can not?

Will the carvin make a noticable difference from the PLX in terms of low end grunt (ala the Crest CA versus QSC PLX debate?)

As stated before I play a p-bass though a U5 into a qsc 1602 in to my future schroeder 1212 with the top rack. I play loud rock but not in any venues that a 1212 can't handle. I'm going for grunt and I'm looking for a relatively light alternative ( in terms of conventional power supply) to my QSC if the 1212 cannot handle 1600W bridged and if my rock roots would be better served by the added benefit of a conventional power supply.

All right talk bass - let me have it :bag:

michael

2. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    bump

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I can't speak for the DCM1000, but when I switched from a Carvin DCM2000 to my PLX3002, I noticed no difference in sound whatsoever, only a difference in weight . . . a big difference!

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The low end "grunt" has to be present in the signal going into the amp. A well-designed, accurate power amp will not give or take away "grunt," "punch," or anything else. The PLX amps are designed to be exceptionally accurate, regardless of signal frequency--low end or high. Most other good power amps are, too, and whether their power supply is conventional or switch-mode has little bearing on this as long as it is up to the job.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You already have a great power amp in the PLX 1602...just buy the Schroeder and be done with it... What a great compact rig you'll have too!!!

Be sure to use the limiter and low filter...

6. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    1600w is great for that Schro. You'll see. I think almost everyone who has the 1210 or 1212 will attest that having way more than 600w has been great for them. LOUD. And lovely. :D

-T

7. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    DONE Then, I'm putting in my call today! Time to get this over with.

So my final rig will be as follows:

Fender P-bass
    Avalon U5 (in it's own 2 space rack)
    QSC PLX 1602 (loaded into the 1212)
    Schroeder 1212 with a 2 space Airhead option

Nothing like a 212 loaded with 1600w of power that will probably weigh for a total of about 75lbs. Awesome!

Oh yeah! :hyper:
    If I need more volume after this one, then I'm getting a Crest CA-9 and a 310212. 'nuff said :bag:
    only when the tours start :D

~Michael