Carvin or Spector!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Feb 26, 2003.

1. I'm torn between the Spector Q5 and the Carvin LP75!

The Carvin is a few hundred bucks more, but GODDAMN it is nice! I'll post a pic later..I don't know how to copy/paste on this darn iMac's at school here...

..anyway what do you guys think? I play metal..I know Spector has that growl, but the Carvin has so many tonal options!

Is the link, I believe. There are like 5 nobs...a pup switch...a J-99 neck pickup, and an HB2 humbucker, I think that's the model name. And piezo volume trim pots, whatever those are.

2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I have a spector Q5 and and it has a very wide range of tones, I love it. everythign from hi and aggressive to low and thumpy. If you can afford the carvin and like it better then i'd say get it, but I love spectors.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Your situation hits home with me. In 2000, I was torn between a totally pimped-out Carvin LB75 and a Spector (Rik's Music had an astounding deal on the Czech Spectors at that time).

I went with the Carvin.

I wasn't sorry I did it, but I think the cosmetics swayed my decision too was fargin' gorgeous!

If I had to do it all over again, I would be more patient and buy a well-cared for, USED higher-end Spector. The money would have been the same.
    The Spector's EMG's just kill the Carvin pups if you play primarily rock as do I, IMO.
  4. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    yah if you go with a spector, go USED! They cost almost half as much used in many cases, and there are a lot of used spectors flaoting aorund places like ebay, especially the Q5 for some reason.
  5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Go spector. again.

(Didn't you say you were getting a sadowsky? and that "Spector is great, but i'm getting a sadowsky"?)

Spector. Hands down.
  6. I'm 16. I tend to dream alot. :D

Check out this 6 string for example:

OMG I want that!

I opted for a Humbucker and a J-99...along with that greenburst finish for my 5 string.

I figured it out, customized to MY specificiations, only $788!!!!!!

Or I could go with a Spector Q5 for about $600.

Carvin is more for the money. All those knobs..customized..dammit I'm going nuts!

7. Also, sorry for the double post, check this sound bite you guys!

Compare that to the Q5, gracias. :D
  8. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I love the carvin 4 string models.But, I've heard some bad things about the 5 string models.
  9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Compare? it doesn't freind. looks second, and tone first. (besides, spector's have much more taste and style than that fugly Carvin body, IMO)

If your going to pay more, get a CZECH SPECTOR. which mauls and burns that silly little carvin, and pisses on the ashes.

I'd still get the Q5 if i had that choice.
  10. Really? I visited the Carvin forums and practically everybody owned a 5 string, said they loved em. :D
  11. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
  12. fugly? haha. I think I'm gonna marry that Carvin body...

But yeah Tone first.
  13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    hmmmmm, that puke green carvin, or....

(might not be the color you dig, but they come in many, many more)

UGLY?????I think not!
  14. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I tend to like Carvins.

My stuff:

And this is on the way now:

15. Damn those are nice Carvins!

And Polly, as far as looks go, I'd take a Carvin over a Spector anyday.
  16. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    Good old USA made Carvins. Great basses.....I was so impressed I bought two. And they are some of the best 5 strings I have ever played. My poor Alembic has not been getting much use lately because of them. Here are my two B5's (bolt-on).
    One fretted and other frettless.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    This man is obviously on drugs.:D
  18. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I agree Polly. Get a carvin if you want a pointy lethal bass to stab yourself on if you fall over on stage :D.
  19. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I just saw you play metal? Ive been in a Metal band for years now, and have played many Spectors (as of yet to own one). I find carvins tone to be much lacking as far as "zing" or even a good "Thud" go. Spectors will cut thru anything, and I have yet to hear a metal bass player say carvins have a tone that can suit metal. I guess you can have your tone any way you want it. but spector tone is very versital, not just that "Growl". Some czech spectors(can) when recorded seem "Smooth". Have you even played a Spector? Seems like a no contest in the "Metal" genre.

Ah, to each his own, just giving my informed view.
  20. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Hey Mgood, you ordered one with two of the MM style pickups? I didn't even know that was an option. What's the option code? I wonder how that would sound..