Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carvin or spector?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by venezuelanbass, Jul 31, 2003.

1. what do you guys think, also im comparing the cheap spectors with the carvins,not the usa series

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I kicked myself often for getting a Carvin LB75 instead of a Spector European model that was on "special" at riksmusic.com a couple of year ago.

The pimped-out Carvin I bought was every bit as gorgeous as the Spector, but the sound just wasn't there for me.
    I don't care much for Spectors' relatively tiny bodies, but those EMG pups beat Carvin pups by a mile, IMO.

Sound gets me paid, not looks.

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I'd tottally go for the Spector fo ra number of reasons.
    1) I think the carvin pre-amp and pups sound kinda nasty.
    2) I hate carvin's pointy bodies.
    3) bolt-on spectors have more comfortable necks.
    4) Spectors have tons of tonal options.
    5) Spector customer support is awesome.
    6) Spector bodies are very comfortable to play.

If you squeeze for a few more $$, than you can pick up a Rebop Euro. I see them used in the $500-$700 often. That's teh price of a new korean in most stores. If you do get a spector, go to riksmusic.com. Their prices are the lowest on Spector, bar none.

4. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    if it was a four string - I'd say Spector; if it was a five or six string, I'd have to go Carvin (I don't care for 35" scale). But that's just me.

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    if it was a four string - I'd say Spector; if it was a five or six string, I'd have to go Carvin (I don't care for 35" scale). But that's just me

I own a Spector Rebop 5 natural oil finish, awesome 5 string. It took me 5 months to find a 5 that I felt comfortable with. The neck is so playable and the tone is great with a really balanced mix of lows, mids, and highs. I like the electronics in Spectors much more than Carvins and the the B with the 35" neck is nice and tight, in my opionion you can't go wrong with the Spector 4 or 5, go play a couple..good luck

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
  7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Carvin. Neither choice is the ultimate IMO, but I've never been crazy about either the Spector body shape or EMG pickups. If a pickup change is the only thing you want to change about a bass, that's relatively trivial. And I don't think the current Carvin preamps are bad at all. To me they sound distinctly better than those from 5-6 years ago.

Think used too.

8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I agree. I have a new Carvin, and it sounds great! When I hear people talking about how bad Carvins sound, I have to wonder if they've heard the newer ones - or heard one at all. Listen to Bunny Brunel or Timothy B. Schmidt - who both use stock Carvin pickups on their basses - and tell me they sound bad...

9. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I have to way in on the Carvin side, but I would personally buy neither. I have found the Carvins I've owned to possess either no punch or an offensive mass of unusable tone. Otherwise, nice to look at and a good feel. I would only start with European Spectors on up.

10. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    But some people think I'm biased.

[​IMG]

11. If your on low budget I´ll go for the spector, although I have never try them, the few cheap carvins I have tried didnt make it up for me, they did not feel good, nor sounded good.

Are you from Venezuela? I am from Caracas.

12. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Never played a Carvin, but I own two Spectors, looking for my third...nuff said...

13. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Carvin? No way! Spector? Yes!
    I've made the mistake in the past buying 2 Carvin basses. They look nice, and feel nice, but the sound is one of the most boring and unuseable out there. Not to mention they were very hard to get rid of when it was time to move on.
    Oh, and if you are a regular working bassist, the crappy nut Carvin uses wears down awefully fast. And using them on the road, their necks have terrible sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures.

The Spector is far superior, and an incredible defined tone. People flip over the way mine sound at shows. They're my workhorses.
    Go with the Czech made bass. It's the closest thing to the original USA version.

Do you want a Civic hatchback or a Mustang GT?
    (sorry, but that's just how I feel)

You can see my 5 and 4 string in the picture....

14. Hmmm, makes you wonder if Caca and some of the others played Carvins from the same company I got mine from... Carvin :D .

FWIW, I own a Carvin 5 string fretless. The neck (koa and maple) is VERY stable. We go from an average of 5 to 10 percent humidity in the winter to the high 90 percents in the summer, and the neck only requires a minor tweak twice a year. It almost never goes out of tune.

It sounds great, and has been used by a recording studio and another gigging musician to get that certain sound they wanted, that sound they couldn't get from their MIM Fender Jazz, MIA Fender Percision, Peavey Cirrus or MusicMan Stingray basses.

It's not like other basses I've played. It's much punchier sounding than any of the Gibsons I've tried, it has better balance and playability than the Warwicks I've tried and it requires much less truss rod attention than the MIM Fender Jazz I use from time to time.

Hell, it's not perfect. The resale sucks... you don't buy these as an investment, you buy them to play).

Either way you probably won't go wrong... let your ears and heart guide you.