carvin or swr

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lilrowland, Mar 17, 2005.

1. lilrowland

Mar 17, 2005
    Hey, im new to this forum and i was wondering,
    i am in the debate for a Carvin or a SWR 4x10 cab.
    I currently have a 2x10 carvin which is working outstanding but i need somthing bigger.
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've used a Carvin 4x10 cab since the early 90's. They've taken a bad rap from many, but I have no complaints. The original speakers lasted with consistant gigging and practice since about 92 until last december...and only gave out when I abused them. I wouldn't put mine against any of the high end cabinets, but I thing they're very workable and produce decent tone. I've used mine with an old Hartke 3500 and think if it as a bullet-proof no frills rig, and after years of use am pretty quick at dialing a good tone for all situations.

Oh, I did take the name plate off the front.
  3. So did I, but only because it rattled against the grill when I played an F#.
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    yeah, it was rattle-prone but it was a touch cheezy too. I still have it around here somewhere.

But the cab's been through it all without complaint.
  5. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I've had an RL-610 (600 watt Redline cab, 2-10, 1-15) for 3 years and is has been great. Well built and capable of producing great tone.

Expect to read A LOT of Carvin bashing on this forum.
  6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    If I were you I would check out the new BRX series of cabs that Carvin's had out for a year or so. I haven't played one yet, but the word of mouth I hear has been good. There is a 4-10 with very good specs that is supposed to be considerably better than the Redline 4-10 (though heavier and a bit more expensive too). To me the SWRs aren't all that, but YMMV.
  7. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Of course there is alot of personal preference when it comes to this subject and rightfully so. Everyone probably bought what sounded good to them at the time. My experience, a couple years ago, I went to GC with my GK1001RBI amp. I was in the market for a 4x10 & a 1x15 cab. I thought naturally I had to plug into the GK cabs, what with the biamp feature and all. Well these cabs just rattled and distorted, next the Mesa cabs, pretty covering, unique looking. The cabs seemed, to me, very middy sounding, not alot of lowend. Did not really want to Ampegs again. Then I hooked up to the SWR Goliath III & SOB cabs. Man my ears just perked up and I said this is it, these are the cabs for me. Since then have changed to Ashdown, SWR and Genz-Benz amps but still have the same 2 cabs (for now anyway cause the threads here on those Schroeder cabs are making me gassy). Point being, try to listen to what your thinking of buying cause that really is what you need to know to make your choice. Again, this is very subjective so ME,YM or My Ears,Your Money.