Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin OUTRAGE! (THIS IS RIDICULOUS!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sargebaker, Jun 7, 2004.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Well today was finally the day to order my Carvin I've been deciding on and tweaking and researching for months! And so far it hasn't been too pleasant an experience.

We'll I just ordered my LB76F with the following options:
    BC(Black Chrome hardware)
    HB2(Bridge Humbucker)
    MAH(Mahogany Body)
    5MW(5 piece laminated neck w/ waLNUT STRIPES)
    SG(seafoam green)
    BST(blackburst edges)
    HC17(hardshell case)

And Carvin is so great ythey give a 10 day trial, except they will not give me one because I have an "odd" combination of colours and options and they would not be able to re sell it because its seafoamgreen with blackburst... Wow, my dad is on the phone now(its his Visa I gotta put the bass on) and they might not take it because it's a Canadian card... And I've been waiting months to order this thing!! They'll ocntact us in a few days to see if they accept it. Not to mention the guy on the phone was quite the jerk (rather rude)And why wouldn't the card work, We've been to the states, Europe and pretty much around the world and we've never had a problem. Makes no sense to me

They also said that if I call to check up on my order that my order will get delayed (UP TO 3 MONTHS!!!!) Excuse me but ***!?!?!

I'm rather disapointed to say the least....Maybe I should save a bit longer and go buy a MusicMan, Or many more thousands and get an F-Bass... (Okay well maybe not an F, but somehting a little cheaper but still, im actually kinda angry now )

Thanks Carvin!

Baker

P.S. Has anyone else had these problems??

2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    cancel it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that kind of crap ain't worth any product, let alone a friggin' Carvin.

PEEEEEEYOOOO!

get a Sadowsky Metro or sumpthin'.

f

3. dude, seafoam green with black burst edges??? that novelty will wear off reeeeeeal quick.

4. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I'm actually super tempted to cancel it. Its just starnge cause I called them TONS of times before deciding (I've been contemplating this bass for months) and they were ALWAYS super nice and helpful. ITs just I don't know what bass I would get, I'm only 16 and the reason I'm getting the Carvin is beacuase iI can get it in seafoam, and its a good bass and its cheaper than most mediocre six strings I could buy... I should maybe start considering a Sterling,(I think they are wicked expensive tho)or a Spector core5, or a not too expensive (if that exists) 6 string (NOT the legend one made of basswood) Sadowsky's r expensive no? and I'm not a big fan.. Maybe I should just go back to my original idea of getting an Attitude ... OH but i want a fretless, We'll see if this Carvin garbage smooths out. It's strange cause I've never heard anything but good feedback about Carvin, maybe I got some Anti-Canadian loser or somehtign, who knows?

Thanks, I'll keep Y'all poster

Baker

5. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Not a novelty man, I want something different (or just seafoam green with a picguard but they don't offer picguards, so I reckon' it'll look cool w/ black edges)

Anyways I think it might be back to bass shopping. Maybe I should give Nino a call ;) or if anyone else is willing to make me a seafoam green bass, 6 string, fretless for a maximum of 1083.00 (not including shipping)

6. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i have needed two repairs done to my LB76 since i have had it...both electrical related. i used to live in san diego so i actually stopped in a dropped my bass off....needless to say their service was less than spectacular and i wound up making the repairs myself even though it was still under warranty.

The bass its self is great. Carvins service is sub-par.

7. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Wow.... and imagine, u live next to the factory, I live up north and have to go thru boarders for repair... I'm actually like this close <----> to canceling my order now.... Maybe I should have a poll :eyebrow: So who thinks I should cancel the order? And got any other 6 string fretless that I can get in Canada for no more than about 1600$ CAN (1120.00 AMERICAN)

8. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I say cancel the order. It really isn't worth the trouble you're going through/going to go through.
    Why don't you surf around the for sale forum here and look out for 6 stringers for sale? I'm sure you'd be able to find something that'll be far more worth that carvin.
    From what I hear, FBB has pretty good fretlesses at really decent prices too :D
    To think about it a bit more, since you're in Canada - why don't you wait around a bit for a 2nd hand Dingwall or Fbass to pop up? I'm sure one of those will surface sooner or later. You'd land yourself a real good deal then :)

9. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Nevermind. My suggestion isn't a fretless.

10. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I read up on the Dingwalls, they don't seem like somethign I would like... I also checked up on Lightwave basses, but i want a colour and don't want to ahve to recharge all the time.

F-Bass would be a dream come true... but they are expensive, and im not that rich/that calibur yet (I'm only 16 :meh: ) and even a second hand might be pretty expensive... Its really too bad, I was Super stoked about the whoel seafoam green w/ blackburst edges... Now how am I gonna find one like that... Would Nino make one? or at least a seafoam green one? I should shoot him a PM. Although I don't really know his prices or shipping deals/ anything, I might have to give him a Pm though.

11. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Wha??? :confused: OKay, I'm confused, wanna gimme your suggestion anyways?

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Mind if I ask why you feel that way? I've tried a few Dingwall instruments and all of them have been very nice in my opinion. If it's the fanned frets that have you a little concerned, they are really not much of an obstacle.

13. twilightcall

twilightcall

May 27, 2004
    Cancel your order before it is too late.

14. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Trust your gut instinct!

15. My advice from looking at your profile is to forget the Carvin and get an Alembic Essence. Try ebay for a used one that comes up occasionally
    It's one of the great tone machines that gets little attention these days. Absolutely incredible tone and flexibility. Take it from a 36 year old, I know what you like buddy because I've been there. :cool:
    Oh and sell the Yorkville and replace it with anything else. They aren't known for the best tone, especially if you wanna spend that much on a bass.

16. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    im getting more and more closer to canceling, but i have like 3-4 days to see if they'll even accept the Visa (Like why wouldn't they?) so I'll cancel tomorrow I think. I think I'm gonna go try the Spector Core 5 again friday, I may be willing to give 5 strings another try...

Well I didn't research profoundly on Dingwalls,
    1) There's no dealer in my area (I would have to drive 6 hours)
    2) Cosmetically I can't sayI'm crazy about them...
    the fanned fret thing doesn't matter, I want fretless.
    If I ever get the chance to try one I will jump on it however.

17. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I'm nervous about Ebay, lol I'm such a chicken. An Alembic would be cool, I'd alos like a Ken Smith, I would pay around 3 grand for one here though :( But thanks, I look around!

18. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I had posted about a 6 string Warwick Corvette that Bass Central's got for a little bit less than you're paying for that new Carvin, but it's a fretted 6 string and it's just the natural bubinga body, instead of colors like you wanted out of your Carvin.

Consider it if you like, but it's not what you say you want; and since you're paying for it, the purchase is really all about what you want.

19. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    CANCEL THAT ORDER! You shouldn't take that kind of treatment from nobody who's not paying you!

20. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Ohio
    Cancell! Get a Ibanez BTB !! They Rock!