Carvin package deals

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Feb 4, 2002.

1. I have decided I am going with a carvin package deal but my dilema is should i go with the 4x10, 1x18 deal or the 4x10, 1x15? I am getting the 1000 watt head, im just not sure what would sound better together. Let me know and if you need more info just ask but thank you all, nate m
  2. Depends on the sound you are looking for. If you want the floor to rumble, and to "feel" what you are playing, then go for the 18".

However, the 15" is a more "all around" cabinet. Not as "Boomy", but still plenty of bottom end.

My personal opinion is go for the 15.

P.S. - I have the series II R1000, and Carvin V115. I also use a PV 210TX, and an Acoustic 18" loaded with a Cerwin Vega. I sometimes use different combos of 2, 3, or 4 cabinets depending on the gig.
  3. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I would go with the RL1018 system (R1000, RL410T, RL118). But either would be a good choice.

I have an older Carvin stack.
    Pro Bass II (discontinued Carvin head)
    V410T (discontinued Carvin 4x10)
    V115 (discontinued Carvin 1x15)

I would have bought the 18, but by the time I was ready to add another cab to the 4x10 and the head that I had, that series was no longer in production. I didn't want the new one simply because it didn't match. So I took what I could find used, which was the 1x15. I love this stuff!
  4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    If your going to play in smaller rooms, the fifteen would be the way to go, but if you are going to play large rooms or outside the eighteen would be better. Eighteens need a little more room for the sound to can stand right in front of a 18 and not hear it too well, while the people ten feet in front of you are getting a sonic facelift:)
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you're going to be using anything with a B string, I'd say go with the 18".

IME, the Eminence 15" made for Carvin can't handle a B string at any kind of decent volume.
  6. I use the a carvin 600 watt head with the carvin 2x10 cab and an old as methuseluh peavy 2x15 cab with one trashed peavey speaker and one newer carvin 15 (the cast frame, 4 ohm, etc.. one, the expensive one) and get good sound with that. If we're playing some place with a crappy PA I borrow a peavey 1x18 PA sub to round out the bottom end though. I've found that the 15's aren't so important for bottom end as for midrange volume. I get lots of punch from the 2x10s but my sound seems empty (I play a Ric 4003) if I don't have the 15s in my rig.
  7. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i second what Rickbass said...
    I owned the 410-15-R1000 setup for 3 years.
    The head was fine but as soon as i hit the b string or open E string at a decent volume.... the 15 would bottom out and fart. I wasn't cranked or anything, but the speakers just couldn't handle it... i say go for the 18 and hope that its better than the 15.
  8. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    You guys are saying the 15 is good enough for the E, but craps out on the B?

I am curious, in your experience, how low does the 15 go? I play a 5, but I've never gone passed the D on the B string.
  9. I have an ampeg rig, 4x10 and 1x18. We play some tunes with my B tuned down to A. In my opinion, you cant beat a kick ass 18 :) Go for it man!

10. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    i have a friend who has the 4x10 and 15 carvin package and he plays a 5 string and it sound great. 18's are too muddy imo. i'd go with the 15. but you get a ten day trial period, so try to have band practice within ten days after you get the amp to see if you like it. Good luck;)