1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin parts

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by WillEVee, Mar 23, 2013.

1. WillEVee

WillEVee

Feb 19, 2013
    Ohio
    Has anybody used Carvin parts (specifically pots, wiring, jack) for a (non-Carvin) project?
    Their prices seem really good.

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Well, they sound pretty good in the Carvin-produced products so I'll say "yeah". How they will sound in any home-brewed projects is pretty much a crapshoot...but that holds true for any preamp / pickup configurations. What sounds great in in my Bromberg 5 may be perfectly dreadful in another application. The prices are decent, though.

Riis

3. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    I did a build (around 1990) w/almost all Carvin hardware and electronics (except for a Schaller bridge). Everything still working fine, other than one tuner that crapped out about 2 years ago. Can't speak to pots and wiring, as the preamp was a pre-assembled unit, but still works great (no crackles or scratchyness). Seems to be very good value/quality stuff!

4. WillEVee

WillEVee

Feb 19, 2013
    Ohio
    Thanks for the input!
    Anyone else?

5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Sure, I've bought quite a few Carvin parts. For example rebuilding my Ken Smith I used Carvin Gold tuners. Look great and work fine (so long as you don't stick your nose on the back of the headstock and notice the "Carvin" on them! I periodically order a bunch of Carvin parts, because the price is right and the quality good. Pots, knobs, jacks whatever. I've ordered a bunch of barrel type jack from them in hopes that they'd be better than the run of the mill barrel jacks you find out there. They do work OK for a while, but it seems that barrel jacks are a bad idea no matter who builds them. These days I go with a chome plate and a standard type switchcraft jack.

Carvin strings are also a great buy so long as you aren't too picky as to tone. They are supposedly made by LaBella and all it takes is to see the normal price of say LaBella nylon tape wounds compared to Carvin's strings to understand the bargain going on.

MY general opinion is that Carvin parts are usually "good enough", but if you have a boutique bass project underway and want the very best of whatever, then I'd say Carvin parts aren't quite there. But obviously to have the best, you'll have to get out your wallet.

6. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Yeah, In 1995 I built a doubleneck with all Carvin electronics and pickups.

There was nothing wrong with any of it. I'd say its better quality than most of the stuff out there.