Carvin PB 100 10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J.R.1, Mar 17, 2005.

1. J.R.1

Aug 7, 2004
    Anyone use these amps. I am looking for something lightweight, yet fairly powerful. A friend of mine has one and swears by it. Any infor would be great :bassist: :help:
  2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I've had one for over a year, and as long as you recognize its limitations, it's great. I think the tone is outstanding (more vintage than crisp hi-fi -- no tweeter), the EQ functions well, and the flexible speaker connectivity is awesome.

It has an external, detachable speaker cable, so you can run all 100 watts into another cabinet, or even use it as a cabinet with another amp. (The speaker is rated at 200 watts.) It will also drive two cabinets, but the power doesn't go up with a 4 ohm load, it goes down because the amp "splits." (I don't really understand it, but that's what happens.) Even so, you get much more volume with an extension cab.

It would be excellent for small, mellow gigs or rehearsals, and I even used it alone rehearsing with one electric guitar and drums at moderate volume. That was fine. But with another guitar or keys added, it got lost. With an extension cab (Avatar B210), it was more than adequate for rehearsal, and may even be enough for small rock gigs.

The point is, 100 watts into a single 10" driver can only do so much, so as long as you don't need more, it's an awesome combo. If you do need more, the PB100-15 isn't much more expensive, but will move more air.

It's definitely a great deal, and even regardless of price I prefer it to the SWR Workingman's 12.

Many others and I reviewed it on, so check that out.