SOLD Carvin PB-5 Fretless (w/ Walnut Pickguard)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Eminor3rd, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Price:
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    I purchased this bass (on TB) a little over a year ago to serve as a placeholder until my Bordwell was finished. Now that I've received the Bordwell, it's time to pass this gorgeous instrument onto another TB'er.

This is an unlined fretless Carvin PB-5 in sunburst w/ gold hardware. The previous owner purchased and installed a custom walnut pickguard, which really makes this bass look incredible, in my humble opinion. However, if walnut isn't your thing, I DO have the original black plastic pickguard and it will be shipped with the bass. The bass is currently strung with a pretty old set of roundwounds, but I'll include a set of flats in the gig bag in case you prefer those.

The bass is in fantastic condition -- bearing only the smudges and swirls you would expect from a used instrument. During its time in my care, it hasn't left my apartment. The walnut pickguard contains one flaw: either a small crack or perhaps a section of knot in the wood, pictured in super-closeup below. I can't tell if the crack goes all the way through or if it's more of a dent, as there does not appear to be any discoloration. The crack/dent/knot is very noticeable up close, and very much NOT noticeable at any distance.

Asking price is $500 OBO + shipping from Allentown, PA. I'm willing to drive and meet for the transaction at a reasonable distance. I'm not looking for any trades at this time.

Purchase of this bass comes with:
    • Padded Carvin gig bag
    • Original black pickguard
    • One set of D'Addario flatwounds
    Please feel free to PM me with questions or for additional photos.

Thanks for looking!

EDIT: String spacing is 19mm; bathroom scale weight is 9.4 lbs

carvin6.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  2. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    It's back!! Dude, I have lusted after this bass since I saw it on the Carvin site for sale. This is a steal!

Eminor3rd likes this.
  3. Eminor3rd

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Haha, yeah, it jumped out at me the first time I saw it, too. I had been browsing the forums for a while with no idea what I really wanted -- but when I saw this one, the search ended immediately!

4. raphaeld

raphaeld

Sep 19, 2012
    Israel
    Shipping overseas by any chance?

5. Eminor3rd

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    I'm not sure what extra stuff goes into it, but I'm willing to give it a shot if you cover the cost.

6. walnut pickguards should come stock with fuzzy pimp hats.

super deal here folks!

raphaeld likes this.
  7. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    Free bump - I have both seen and heard this bass, at a blues jam in Nashville a few years ago. A previous owner was in the host band. It sounded great, and is absolutely as gorgeous in person as the pics show.

If Carvin offered it in a tighter spacing than the 19mm that most others seem to love, I'd have one. Super low price for this, imho - GLWTS!

raphaeld likes this.
  8. raphaeld

raphaeld

Sep 19, 2012
    Israel
    PM your way

9. So I take it from Inara's comment that the string spacing is 19mm?

10. Eminor3rd

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    19mm indeed!

Also, from a previous PM: bathroom scale shows 9.4 lbs.

raphaeld likes this.
  11. Eminor3rd

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Thanks! Yes, the TB'er I bought it from was from Nashville, and she was very nice :D

raphaeld and Inara like this.
  12. Eminor3rd

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    This is sold on Reverb. Thanks for the interest!

Inara likes this.
  13. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Crap. I was totally ready. Congratulations to be new owner!

Eminor3rd likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021