Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin PB10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve S, Jan 22, 2001.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I'm looking for a small, relatively light combo amp that I can take to rehearsals. I have the Ampeg B100R but it weighs 65 pounds and can be tough to lift if I'm tired. Has anyone played the Carvin PB10 and can give me an opinion about it?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Nice little amp and cheaper than the competish. Very light at around 32lbs, and well-made. You can sit on it if you like. Black carpet covering hides scuffs, unlike tolex; metal grill resists kicking. The pots seem a little flimsy, but the face of the amp is recessed, so at least you won't knock them off inadvertently. Very clean sound at low volumes, even across the tonal spectrum, though somewhat lacking in character; if you have a blah bass, this amp won't add much color. The EQ section is fairly subtle, and useful at the extremes. The shape switches aren't so subtle, but they're useful for quick changes. The amp distorts and gets pretty noisy when topped out, but if you're playing with a bunch of neanderthal guitarist and drummers, only you will notice. Built in compressor and noise gate are handy, but should be used sparingly. Minor complaint: sounds very "active" and processed through headphones. The cabinet tames the synthetic tone somewhat. I sold mine, though not because I didn't like it.

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I was thinking about getting it. But after playing it for a while at Carvin it just seemed to get distorted too quickly for my taste. I couldn't turn it up far enough to be loud and clean. It did sound great at lower volumes. I liked the controls and found it to be versatile ... but once again, just at lower volumes. Maybe it just wasn't what I needed. I ended up getting the cyclops. That won't help your problem though. It weighs 103 pounds. The 210 version also is heavy weighing around 80 pounds. Maybe the PB200 is better. :) All in all I like Carvin gear.

4. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I will have to be kind of honest with you, the PB10 is a good amp, but if you want it to be worth your while, I would go with the PB200. I know that you wanted to go small, but I would be worried about not getting the sound you want out of the PB10, because as he said, they can get really fuzzy at the high end. And since you wanted lightweight, the PB200 really isn't that heavy, I take mine to practice all the time, and compaired to the competition, it is not only smaller in price, but it is the lighter than the comparable amps.

5. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thank you very much for your comments! I learned what I needed to know about this amp and will follow your suggestions.