Carvin PB100-10, anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by dirk, Dec 31, 2002.

1. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I'm thinking of purchasing a small combo to run my upright through, rather than just running it through my electric setup. I was noticing the low price on the Carvin PB100-10 combo and I was wondering if anyone here used it? Other amps I'm considering are the GK Backline 110 combo, and the more expensive SWR Workingman's 10 combo. I want to have the capability of adding an extension cab for larger gigs, too.

2. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I considered both of those amps, but then a GK MB 200 came my way used for about the same price. Problem with all those amps is that they don't sound terribly accurate with an upright. That's okay as long as you understand you'll be getting an "amplified" sound and not a louder version of the acoustic sound.
  3. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I have a Carvin PB100-10 and I like it a lot for slab playing. I took my Underwood pickup off my URB about a year ago and haven't tried it through the Carvin yet. I bet it will color the sound somewhat; I don't think it has a really transparent sound, but it might be fine for URB. I will try to dig out my Underwood and try it through the Carvin and let you know.
  4. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Monkey and mje,
    thanks for the replies. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, because I'm sure the SWR will colour my sound too, it's just the price on the Carvin is a lot less. Let me know your review of the Carvin, Monkey, but I'm leaning toward the Workingman 10 just b/c the reputation.

5. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    For me, the workingman's 10, is
    the worst upright amp I've ever
    owned. No mids and the thin tweeter
    sound is tough to take. BUT!! for its
    size its a stupid good and loud electric
    bass amp. Wish I could stand it for upright.
    Just my opinion. I just found an old 200mb.
    It works much better.
  6. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    The GK was my favorite until a week ago, when I replaced my GK MB 200 with a used Acoustic Image Clarus and a EA CXL-110 cabinet setup. I've never heard anything so accurate and so tight. No flab in the low end at all. Sounds great with the UB, great with the Bug Bass, and when I add a second small cabinet it's loud enough for rock and roll with the P-Bass.
  7. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Re the Workingman's 10. I have one and use it with my Bass Max equipped upright. The SWR can be made to sound OK by itself by turning off the Aural Enhance and dropping the bass a bit and shutting off the tweeter. However, I usually use a Tech 21 Acoustic DI preamp with mine and it is a huge improvement. Unless I need the extra gain from the SWR preamp, I always run into the effects return. After all this, I'm not sure how much of the SWR "sound" is left. It is a very solid little amp though.
  8. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I had the Carvin and the SWR. I didn't like the SWR at all, just wasn't very warm; the Carvin was a really good reh amp for electric. It was ok for upright but it will color the sound big-time. The Carvin is a good value and it is built tough but in general I've found Carvin amps to be "boxy" sounding and not real true to amplifying a good upright. They are good "bang for your buck" amps.
  9. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I can add that I play a cheap Chinese plywood bass, so maybe some colour wouldn't be so bad. At any rate I've decided to go with the SWR.
  10. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    NW Arkansas
    I tried several small amps with my upright setup. Mind you, I don't have a high priced pickup on my bass, just a Barcus Berry BB Junior on the bass leg of the bridge. This may come as a suprise to some, but the best sounding amp I found with my setup is a Fender Bassman 25. I play slab bass also, and I've never been a fan of Fender bass amps, but this thing sounded very full and warm with my upright. It has a tilt back cabinet that helps de-couple the speaker from the floor, so it helps reduce boominess. The amp also had some other features that helped, like a tuner out, mute switch, headphone jack, effects loop, line out (high impedance only), and stereo RCA jack auxillary input w/volume control. I was so surprised. I went to the store twice to try it out 'cause I couldn't believe what I heard the first time. Fairly cheap, too.
  11. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I've been happy using the WM12 with upright. I tried the 10, but there was a lot of speaker port noise on the low notes. The WM12 does fine for small gigs with my BugBass, too.

Used to have a Carvin PB150 and it was rather murky sounding, but lots of power for its size.