Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin PB200-15 Combo or Fender Bassman 200?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phoenix21, Jan 30, 2002.

1. I've been looking into buying a better combo than my little Crate 30 Watt--something powerful enough to be heard in a coffee shop or small venue like that and when my band has rehearsal down in my basement. After doing some research, I've found a GK400RB (150W) that is now discontinued. :( After looking some more, I've dropped upon the Carvin PB200-15 Combo and the Fender Bassman 200 Combo.
    I've heard good things about both. The reason I'm looking so low in power is mainly a money issue--I'm almost 16, don't have a job, don't have my permit, etc.--and I'm not really looking for something "almighty and powerful" (higher than 400W) until later on when I need that sort of equipment (or can at least afford it ;)).
    Okay, sorry for running off. My question is, is the 160W Carvin PB200-15 for $400 a better deal than the 200W Fender Bassman 200 for $640?? Or am I getting ripped off on both deals and should look for another? Keep in mind, I want something at 150W or higher, but I'm short on money (the Bassman is pushing it for me). I will also only be using these amps in coffee house-size venues and band rehearsals down in my basement.
    Positive and bad reviews are much appreciated! :D

EDIT: Also note that I use a 5-string Ibanez BTB. Which is better on the lowend?

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I used Carvin amps for years, and like them, but I was just talking to a bass player I know who has a PB200-15 and he said it is not loud enough for gigging. He has to go line out into the PA to get enough volume. He doesn't play in a very loud band, and they play in mostly small bars.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I'm a fan of the Carvin Redline heads, but a little less so of the PB200. Generally, I don't dig Ampegs personally, but I played a 15" combo (was it the BA115?) recently that I thought was pretty good. You might wanna check it out. It's the one with the black tolex, not the vintagey blue stuff.

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Ive got the Bassman 200, and its a nice amp. However I havent played thru the PB200 so its hard for me to recommend one or the other. I will tell you that I tried alot of 100-200 watt amps(Ampeg, Peavey, etc..... ) before buying mine, and imo the Fender was the nicest sounding of the bunch. Currently Im using it in a four piece band with an extremely loud drummer, and this amp keeps up- on stage and during practice.

Good luck:cool: