1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin PB200-15 Combo or Fender Bassman 200?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phoenix21, Jan 30, 2002.

1. I've been looking into buying a better combo than my little Crate 30 Watt--something powerful enough to be heard in a coffee shop or small venue like that and when my band has rehearsal down in my basement. After doing some research, I've found a GK400RB (150W) that is now discontinued. :( After looking some more, I've dropped upon the Carvin PB200-15 Combo and the Fender Bassman 200 Combo.
    I've heard good things about both. The reason I'm looking so low in power is mainly a money issue--I'm almost 16, don't have a job, don't have my permit, etc.--and I'm not really looking for something "almighty and powerful" (higher than 400W) until later on when I need that sort of equipment (or can at least afford it ;)).
    Okay, sorry for running off. My question is, is the 160W Carvin PB200-15 for $400 a better deal than the 200W Fender Bassman 200 for $640?? Or am I getting ripped off on both deals and should look for another? Keep in mind, I want something at 150W or higher, but I'm short on money (the Bassman is pushing it for me). I will also only be using these amps in coffee house-size venues and band rehearsals down in my basement.
    Positive and bad reviews are much appreciated! :D

EDIT: Also note that I use a 5-string Ibanez BTB. Which is better on the lowend?

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I used Carvin amps for years, and like them, but I was just talking to a bass player I know who has a PB200-15 and he said it is not loud enough for gigging. He has to go line out into the PA to get enough volume. He doesn't play in a very loud band, and they play in mostly small bars.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I'm a fan of the Carvin Redline heads, but a little less so of the PB200. Generally, I don't dig Ampegs personally, but I played a 15" combo (was it the BA115?) recently that I thought was pretty good. You might wanna check it out. It's the one with the black tolex, not the vintagey blue stuff.

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Ive got the Bassman 200, and its a nice amp. However I havent played thru the PB200 so its hard for me to recommend one or the other. I will tell you that I tried alot of 100-200 watt amps(Ampeg, Peavey, etc..... ) before buying mine, and imo the Fender was the nicest sounding of the bunch. Currently Im using it in a four piece band with an extremely loud drummer, and this amp keeps up- on stage and during practice.

Good luck:cool: