Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin PB200-15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basskid, May 2, 2001.

1. basskid

basskid

May 2, 2001
    Oak Park, IL
    I've been looking for a new amp for a while, and i see this carvin 160 watt thing for only $400! That price just can't be ignored, but how does the thing sound?

2. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    In order to keep from repeating myself, check out a recent post entitled, Carvin Pro Bass 200 or something like that. I have one and I gave my humble opinion on the amp in that post.

Dirk

3. Brock385

Brock385

Nov 5, 2000
    Dirk,
    Do you think the pb200 would be able to hold its' own with a guitarist going through a 100 watt amp?

Is the pb200 as loud as other 160 watt amps?

Thanks for your time

4. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Well, I guess it does hold its own with only one guitarist, but if you want to cut through over two guitarists and the drums, then you're going to lack volume and headroom. It's a good amp for small gigs w/ limited numbers of people, but sooner than later you're going to be itching for more power.

I have only played on one other 160 watt, and imo the Carvin is the best for that size..

Dirk

5. basskid

basskid

May 2, 2001
    Oak Park, IL
    Well, dirk, I play in a garage band with two guitarists and a drummer. It's more for fun than for gigging, or making money. And if we were to play a gig, it wouldn't be outdoors. However, i would like some headroom when practicing. So, under these circumstances, would this amp be sufficient?

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I know i'm not dirk but heres the thing-how much power do your guitarists have? i have my amp cranked while they have theirs on less than 5 [all of us have 15watters] I think the PB200 in my situation with them would be great but for marching band i'm looking into 3 of their stack/combo+cab setups. thats all

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    It might be okay... if they don't turn up all the way... but you probably will be cutting it close. That amp has a spkr out jack, right? Tossing in another 1x15 cab in the future would extend it's life.

8. basskid

basskid

May 2, 2001
    Oak Park, IL
    But would it be able to power another 1x15 cab?

9. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    It will power another speaker, but it's two eighty watt amps bridged into the one fifteen, so in essence you'll have one 80 watt 15 and another 80 watt speaker of your choice. It will suffice if you're in desperate need of an amp, but unless you're band has a PA, then you won't be able to mic it at gigs. Take a look at the Red Line amps from Carvin, the compressor comes in really handy, plus they have a direct out. That's what I'm saving for right now.

Dirk

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I think it would be okay, certainly better and louder than with just the one speaker. I haven't tried it myself... but I might. I am always looking for a good traveling amp. :)

11. basskid

basskid

May 2, 2001
    Oak Park, IL
    what about the carvin cyclops? that would probably kick ass at a band practice. 600 watts sounds like enough.

12. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Yep. I have that. It is more than enough for a practice. But as not everyone can afford $600 to $900 for one of these suckers... The PB200 might be good. If you are considdering and can afford the Cyclops. I suggest you look at the RC210 instead. Later on tack on a 1x18 if you need it... and it has better portability.

13. basskid

basskid

May 2, 2001
    Oak Park, IL
    Lately, i've also been looking at a Nemesis 4x10 combo, and i believe it would pull through. The guitarists in my band don't have very big amps, 80 watts, etc. And we're just a garage band anyway. Would it cut through ok?

14. As an owner of 2 Carvin basses and a PB500, I would say that the PB200 is a great little amp for small venues and backyard parties. It sounds great and can be carried with no great effort. If you need to, you can always mic the amp or go direct in to a P.A. system.

I feel sooner or later you will want an amp with more power, but the PB200 is a keeper. When the space gets tight, you'll be glad you kept it!