Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin PB500 500W amp, $300 + shpg

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by eli, Jun 8, 2002.

1. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Well, I've pulled the trigger and bought a new Carvin R600 -- decided against the 1000w version since it doesn't properly utilize my 8-ohm 500W 1-15.

SO: I'm putting up my trusty '95 Carvin PB500 amp to help finance the new purchase. All in excellent working order (I just wanted the R600's newer features and the 2-rackspace chassis), used, never abused. 2 x 175W into 8 ohms, 2 x 250W into 4 ohms, 500w into 8 ohms min bridged mono. Bass, mid-sweep, mid level, treble knobs; 5-band graphic EQ; 1-knob compressor; noise gate; push DEEP switch, push BRIGHT switch. Biamp selector swich, crossover knob, HIGH level to balance biamp. Effects loop. 3-button FS-36 footswitch does volume boost (level adjustable by trimpot on back of amp), graphic EQ in/out, and effects loop in/out. 1/4" and XLR direct outs, pre/post-EQ switch. Hi & Lo outs, Hi & Lo power amp ins. You can even take the direct out into a board, then send the whole board back through the two power amps to run the PA (yes, I've done it!). 3-space rackmountable, and I will ship in the wood black Duratuff (bristly carpet) amp case if you like. Original papers and manual. If you want to see the manual, I'll scan & email a copy.

This is a really cool, flexible, and powerful amp for not a lot of scratch: $300 firm plus shipping. If you're in the area, you can pick up in Chicago NW burbs; if you're extra nice I may consider a personal delivery!

2. You have a e-mail message from me. :cool:

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Eli, no offense, but I know both of these amps pretty well, and I can't understand what you mean here about "not properly utilizing" the cab. I always suggest to people looking at Carvin that it's more cost-effective to spend the extra $80 for the extra 400 watts. I can't think of anything the R600 would do with that cab that the R1000 wouldn't do as well or better.

Obviously, I've got no financial stake in this (I don't work for Carvin and am not selling anything at the moment), I just hate to see fellow bassists act on misinformation. If that's what it is ....

4. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Here's what I meant: The R1000 will produce 350 watts out of either side into 8 ohms, but 700 watts bridged mono into 8 ohms. My 8-ohm speaker can handle 500 watts. I really like having the power amp have no more power than the speaker can handle; that way I'm guaranteed that I can never try to overload the speaker. I know some people pooh-pooh this idea, but I still cannot wrap my head around plugging a 700-watt amp into a 500-watt speaker.

Therefore what I meant is, given that I don't want to do that, I can only get 350 watts out of the R1000 into my 8-ohm speaker.

And, brokenglassjaw, I'll answer you tonight Wednesday as soon as I get home to my email! It's been a REALLY rough few days.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Hey, it's cool, I tend to prefer having a cab with a hefty power handling capability, though I know for a fact that in many circumstances it's perfectly OK to have an amp that has a higher power rating than the cab.

But you might want to know one thing: running a 450 W amp into a 500 W cab does NOT guarantee that you can't overload the speaker. If you push your amp hard, you could make it put out up to twice its rated wattage (albeit at the cost of some distortion), thereby probably damaging the speaker.

Also, if you ever think you might want to expand your rig, the R1000 is a better base to build on. With another 8 ohm cab, you could bridge the R1000 for 1000 W. Even with one cab, the difference between 350 W and 500 is not very big.

But hey, it's your call, I'm not trying to tweak you. I dunno if you ever check out the Amps thread in TalkBass, but I've participated and learned a lot there, and I thought I might pass on a suggestion. No biggie.

6. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Way OK. No offense taken. Nice to hear someone actually being polite! Just explaining my point of view. Good to hear yours.

Now if anyone could just explain UNDER WHAT CONDITIONS it's OK to have an amp with more power than a speaker can handle...

7. And this thing KICKS!!!!!! Bwahaha and it's mine!!!!! :D :p

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Ummm...in general it's better to have an amp that can has more power than your cab is rated for. If you drive your amp into clipping, your speakers can get damaged. The speaker movement generated by an un-distorted sine way is out and back, on a vented coil speaker, you get cooling from the 'pump'. When your amp is clipping, the wave is squared off. The speaker movement is out --- hold --- and back. More heat build up, less cooling. More voice coil fatigue.

Obviously you don't want to melt your drivers with too much power. That's what you have a volume control for ... to ensure that you're delivering clean power. Me I'd opt for the 1000 ... although this is coming from a guy running 200 clean watts into a 30 year old JBL 15.