1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin/Peavey tube power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stompin Tom, Sep 12, 2008.

1. A recent thread got me thinking about getting a tube power amp again... I'd run my SS pre into. Carvin makes a fairly cheap one, but it's only a hundred watts:

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=TS100

I've seen old peaveys pop up from time to time with various power ratings... I was wondering if anyone uses either of these and what they might recommend. I'm concerned about headroom, but I also don't want it to sound too hifi and sterile. Oh, I'd say around $600 is my max to spend.

2. Bump.

I've since found out that Geddy Lee actually runs a sansamp RBI into a tube power amp as his rig! Seems like a weird choice considering he could play anything...

3. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Start searching the auction listings. I remember Peavey selling straight up tube power amps, but I can't recall how high they went in terms of power ratings. I do remember seeing some I think that were at 120 watts. As far as Geddy's set up goes, the man uses what works for him. Tech 21 makes some great stuff imho. I wish you luck in finding a high wattage tube power amp. I remember Marshall once made an all tube power amp that was in the 100-150 watt range if I remember correctly, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find one for 600 bucks.

4. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Rather than finding a separate bass-ready poweramp, you might do well just to get an all tube amp and bypass the pre. There's a peavey classic 400 for $550 in classifieds right now.

5. Of course that's a good idea... I guess I'm used to old tube heads that usually don't have effects loops/preamp out-power amp in. I assume all the new ones do.