Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin pickup location ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by angrydad, Jul 31, 2005.

1. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    Hey Carvinites,
    I can tell from soundclips that Carvin doesn't place thier j pickups in the standard (60's/70's) Fender locations. actually, it sounds to me as if the neck pickup is the one that is further back.
    Can one of you Carvin players measure the distance from the 12th fret to the center (where pole pieces would be) of the two pickups and post those distances ? Thanks.
    (moderaters : I'm not sure if this should be in the pickups forum, if so, please move. Thanks).

2. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Well I'm not sure if this helps because all of my Carvin LB70's have a J at the neck and an HB at the bridge. I can tell you that it's approximately 11.5" from the center of the 12th to the center of the neck J99.

I don't know whether or not they place the neck pickup in a different position for dual J(99) models.

3. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    Thanks for the reply DirtyDave. That's definitely further back than my Fender J bass neck pickup.

It would be nice to find out the locations from someone who has the dual j configuration.
    I'm interested because I'm toying around with a dual J "hobby" bass, and I like the tone I've heard of Carvins with the dual j's full up...I may want to go with those neck/bridge locations. Thanks again.

4. 90k

May 3, 2005
    Arizona
    I have a carvin fretless B5-kit bass with two J99's. I measure from the fretboard edge of the nut to the fretboard edge of the neck pickup
    27-11/16ths inches. hope this helps you out

5. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    The original Jazz bass bridge pickup, measured center-to-center, was 3.5" from the neck pickup; this was increased to 4.0" beginning in the early 70's until 1984, and is back at 3.5" (except for 1975 RI, which uses the 4.0"). I don't have a Jazz bass here to measure how far the pickup is from the bridge.

My Carvin LB20, with J99 pickups, has spacing of 3.25" center-to-center, and the bridge pickup up is about 2.375" from the rough centerline of the bridge saddles.