Carvin Pickup Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jcadmus, Jan 22, 2001.

1. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Anybody out there got one of the Carvin basses with the J99 j-style pick-ups? Specifically, how quiet are they?

A buddy is about to order a Carvin bass with the J99 in the neck position, but since it's a single-coil pick-up we wondered if it is noisy like some j-style pups.

Should he swap the J99 out for one Carvin's H50N stacked humbuckers (that's what I've got in my LB75 and they're very quiet)?

2. I've got a J-99 in the neck position of my LB75. It is pretty quiet, less noise than my Jazz had. The humbucker at the bridge is a little noisy when run split-coil.
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The H50N pickups are quiet, but also have a pretty low output if they are run passive. I had some on a bass that I had built, and while they sounded fine, there was quite a bit of amp tweaking when switching basses, moreso than with any of my other basses...

My two cents...

4. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Having swapped 'em out for vintage-style single-coils, I can tell you that by comparison, the J99s are dead quiet. You will get a teensy bit of buzz if you have the pan pegged to either the neck or the bridge pup, but it's negligible unless you are standing next to some kind of EMI source.

In addition to the pos/neg wires, Carvin added a ground wire wound into each pup and attached to the preamp (I think Lane Poors are wired like this too). For me, it was worth adding a little noise to get a purer single-coil tone I was looking for, but I sure wish I could have it both ways. It's pretty much an even trade.

But having played both, I'd opt for the J99s over H50s any day, but that's just me. :)
  5. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Thanks guys. I'm sure this will be real helpful to my friend.

6. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    I don't own one, but I haven't heard much good news from the H50s.
  7. Hi jcadmus.On your LB75 do you run the bass/treble pot full? I'm getting hiss.How many hours per battery can you get?I have 1991 with 3way switch& mini togles.
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Another vote for the J-99. It is dead quiet on the LB75 I received in Dec. It is "sweet" sounding yet has depth, clarity and is highly responsive to attack variations. BTW, I got it instead of the H50N because the Carvin catalog mentions, "...offers tremendous deep bass, punch and clarity even exceeding that of Carvin's award-winning H50N stacked humbucker. Power output is approximately 30% greater....."

Now if I can just replace the kennel-cough, HB Alnico-5 at the bridge before it attracts fleas....

[Edited by rickbass1 on 02-04-2001 at 03:02 AM]
  9. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Here, here. The J99's are dead quiet. One of the least noisy I've never heard.