Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carvin pickups, do they compare to bartolini?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Erythuria, Jan 24, 2004.

1. carvin seem to have decent 18v activ/passive pickups on their P-series basses, theese include a humbucker in the bridge position and a jazz pickup in the neck position.
    does anyone have experience with these pickups? what type of tone should i expect from them and will they compare to bartolinis?:confused:

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My opinion after owning a few Carvins, the Carvin pickups and preamps are its weakest links. Nowhere near the quality of a Bartolini, regardless of model. More akin to an EMG Select series, which isn't saying much.

Opinions vary, and this is mine . . .

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I prefer Bartolini all the way too. I like the Carvin 18v preamp, although boosting and cutting doesn't make drastic changes in eq like others. Carvin pickups are ok...get the J99 or H50n pickups. But Bart J pickups sound much better to my ears. I don't like the Carvin HB pickup too much. I still have one in my bass though :(. I want to find another pickup to replace it when I have the time. It sounds good when it is blended with the neck pickup, but not when soloed. The Carvin piezo pickups sound like garbage to me. I always have them turned off on my bass. And if I order another Carvin I will NOT get piezos.

This sounds really down on Carvin, but actually I think Carvin has the best build quality in their price category and I love mine.

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Just another pro-Bartolini thought...I saw a band recently and the bass player had a great sound I was really into. I thought he was playing a Sadowsky. After the set I went up to talk to him. He had a Fender 5 string Jazz, upgraded with Bartolini pickups. I wasn't too surprised.

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Carvin is definitely not in the same league as Bartolini. Neither the pickups, nor the pre's.

If it's a Bartolini sound you want, get a Bartolini! :)

6. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Carvin makes basses,amps,PAs, guitars, t shirts, etc. Bartolini makes pickups. Carvin pickups don't sound anything like Bartolini's. Although I play a Carvin bass, I will agree with everyone so far, Bart pickups are better IMHO.

7. so in that case a carvin with a bart preamp and pickups would be pretty decent...
    you think it would be a good combination? and any ideas as to prices for 5/6 string bart sets?:bassist:

8. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    It's too bad you missed it, but there was a TB member selling a Carvin XB75 with Bart pickups and Bart preamp...beautiful bass I would have bought if I had the money to blow. He was only asking for 600 US from what I remember.

9. i'm a lefty and i'm broke lol :bawl: