CARVIN pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by count_funkula, Jun 18, 2001.

1. Hello all.

I just ordered a Carvin LB75 and I have a question about the pickups. I ordered mine with the H50N jazz style pups and would like some feedback from other Carvin owners.

I perfer J style pickups over the big "Music Man" pups. It seems like the only complaints I have seen about Carvin basses is the electronics. Can I slap some Bartolinis in this thing if need be? I play in church so it is very important that my pickups be dead quite.

2. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I have an LB70 with the H50's and the complaints you've heard are valid, IMO. IN their defense, they are dead quiet and fairly responsive, however, they lack punch and deep, crisp bottom end. I am about to invest in some Bart 9SU's. The description of the sound they produce has the most appeal to me.

Overall, the Carvin is a nice instrument with great string spacing, quality hardware, tone and playability. I purchased a Sterling recently and discovered what the Carvin was lacking in tone but, IMO, made up for in playability and comfort. (The Sterling's neck is just too narrow for me.)

Anyway, I called Carvin and they said any PU designed for Jazz basses will fit.
  3. Great! Thats what I wanted to know. I played a Pedulla Rapture the other day that had Bartolini pups installed and it sounded incredible. I'm will rate the H50N pups when I receive the bass and see if I need to get with something different. Thanks.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Count - If I could order my LB75 again, I would have gone with a J99 and an H50N instead of the weak, boxy HB MM-style I bought. I've never heard/seen a bad word about the H50N. One of the two best Carvin choices you could have made, apparently.
  5. Rickbass, I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

If you rewire that weak-sounding HB2 in series mode, the way any God-fearing MM-style humbucker should be wired, it will sound much stronger and ballsier.
  6. rickbass

analog - Thanks for saying it again. When I get way behind on the TB messages in my inbox, I sometimes rush through the posts trying to glean the salient points and the humor. The LB75 has to go into the shop this week anyway, so I'll see about letting someone who has used a solder gun before do it.

If it works out, I'll try to let you know. Thanks again, analog!!!
  7. No prob. I've always wondered why Carvin wires it in parallel; the "boxiness" you describe is probably a result of the resonant peak being in the 1.5-2KHz range, while wiring it in series will push the peak way down and give a more snarly, muscular tone.
  8. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    I used to have an LB76 with the H50N pick ups and I thought they sounded ok but they did'nt have alot of character or balls IMO.
  9. I have heard that any stacked humbucker will loose some high end, Im pretty sure it would be the same with the H50's
  10. rickbass

analog - There's a couple of the boys at the Carvin board insisting that it is already wired in series, like all MM-style pups, he says. He's not employed by Carvin.

I'd ask you what I asked him, (no response yet), -- on what do you base your info? I'm not doubting you, but someone has their info miswired. :confused:
  11. I got that from a Carvin catalog, from when they first introduced the HB2 option. Maybe they changed.

Oh, and not all MM-style 'buckers are in series. Seymour Duncan recommends that their MM-replacement pickup be wired in parallel.
  12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i like the sound of musicman pickups wired in parallel. however i havent played the carvin version. if you ask Ernie Ball theyll tell you their stingray pickup is wired in parallel also. here's something i did with a bart mme pickup thats pretty cool. its in a warmoth jazz. ive got it wired to a single stack knob pot with the bridge coil wired to the bottom half and the neck coil wired to the top half. both volumes on full you have stingray tone. bridge on full with a bit of front coil blended in youve got jazz bass tone. needless to say i really like the bart mme.
  13. rickbass

Thanks analog. That would certainly lead me to believe the Carvin is wired in parallel. Their amps change a lot, but they seem to be pretty static when it comes to their basses. I'll see if someone will take the time of day to confirm at Carvin, (and if someone should actually respond, I may get two different answers from two different Carvin people, based on past experience).

Funny you mentioned the Basslines MM. That's what I'm getting on my custom since I can't get a Lane Poor MM.