Carvin pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bill Brasky, Jul 24, 2000.

1. Has anyone switched from one kind of Carvin pickup to another, like from their humbuckers to single coil? How about their Music Man style humbucker? Like does it sound like a Stingray humbucker?

I've got a Carvin 5 string with 2 stacked j-style humbuckers and I was thinking of switching to single coils. I don't know if I want to go with the Carvin single coils or maybe try a different brand of pickups. I'd kind of like to get a Stingray or maybe a Fender Jazz sound with it but I don't know what kind of pickups would be good for this.
  2. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    I don't own one of these suckers, but I have heard that the Carvin Single coils are better than the stacked humbuckers.
  3. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I was thinking of switching from the Carvin single-coils to EMGs on my 5 string. What can I expect? By the way, the single-coils are warm and smooth sounding in my opinion.
  4. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Yo Bill,

I've had the luxury of hanging out at the showroom in S.D. a coupla times now, and have played all of the various combinations of their pups (including a horrendous sounding prototype with a MM-style pup plopped right in the the middle of the body, instead of near the bridge). The J99s (which I have on mine) are definitely more beefy than the H50s, but you have the buzz to deal with. Personally, I'd rather live with the buzz and have the growl. I was underwhelmed by the MM-style pups; the were okay, but not noticeable "better" to me.

With that in mind, (like rickreyn) I'm seriously considering swapping out my J99s, but for a pair of Lane Poors. For those who remember me as being a shameless Carvin shill, this in no way implies dissatisfaction with my current setup - I'm just feeling an itch to personalize my bass a little more, and I've heard nothing but good things about Lane Poor. Plus, they have a 30 day return policy and a lifetime warranty, so I don't really have anything to lose. I have an email in to them now with some questions, and I'll let you know how it goes if I take the plunge. I guess I'm more curious than anything. I haven't played a bass yet that FELT better in my hands than a Carvin, but I want to make sure that I'm getting the best possible sound from it. And from what I've read out there, a Carvin with LPs is a great combination.

Any thoughts out there?

P.S. On my latest trip to the showroom, they had a super-cool looking prototype bass with a "spalted maple" top. I can't really describe it, but it was very, uh, spalty. Actually, it had a marble-like quality to it, and almost didn't look like wood. Anyway, it was neato, with regardless of the pickup combination.