Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin piezo sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassBaron, Jul 19, 2002.

1. BassBaron

BassBaron

Jul 20, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    I've been considering ordering a Carvin but don't know if I should go with the piezo option. I've never owned a piezo equipped bass so I'm not sure what they sound like. The consensus seems to be that Carvin makes beautiful basses with mediocre electronics. That "Cake" full yet coherent bottom sound is what I've been searching for. Can I get it with a Carvin?

2. BassBaron

BassBaron

Jul 20, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    Any thoughts??

(bump)

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    did you get my email?
    I know there's some Carvin owners (who have the piezo setup) at the Carvin BBS site. They'd probably be willing to describe it as best they can...

I've got a few Carvins, they seem to be able to get a variety of tones. The electronics aren't that bad. There are some who love them, and others who were not too impressed, but isn't that true with most gear?

I've owned a bass w/ piezo's, but it wasn't a Carvin, so I'll hold off on that ? for now.
    Check the Carvin site. See what some owners have to say. They're pretty helpful over there.
    www.carvin.com

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Go to the "Jamroom" at the Carvin website and click on the LB70. It has a sample of it being played with the piezo. Only thing, is it sounds like it was recorded with brand new strings, so it will sound more bright and trebly than usual.

5. splinter

splinter

Jul 21, 2002
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I have owned a Carvin LB70 4 string fretless since 1987 and except for the neck pick-up going bad within the first two or three years, I have never had a problem with the electronics.

I have used this bass while playing Punk, Funk, Jazz, Fusion, with Scaterd-Few as well as serious one drop reggae with HR of the Bad Brains.

The response of this insturment to slapping is what caused me to purchase it in the first place. Other fretless basses I sampled just sounded muddy when slapping but the Carvin was clear and warm, almost fret like.

Often after a gig people would ask how I was able to get such a clear slap and pull sound from a fretless. Thecnique is part of it but the instrument is as well.

I hope this helps you in your decision even though I didn't really answer you question on piezo. :D :rolleyes: :confused:

6. LuoLi

LuoLi

Apr 2, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I had the BB-75PF for a week. It had the "jaco" coating on the fingerboard, so I thought I had a fretless machine.

I sent the bass back. I didn't like the piezo sound very much. I wouldn't order that option again. The other reason was it didn't sound like a fretless ie... no 'mwah'.

7. BassBaron

BassBaron

Jul 20, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    Thanx fellers, the sound clip from Carvin swayed me in the direction of passing on the piezo option.