1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin Players I need your help.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fit4pain, Oct 6, 2013.

1. I have narrowed down my choice between the SB 4000-5000 and the B24 or 25. I have not decide yet weather I am going to do a 4 or 5 string but I have decided I want one of the 2 models. I play in a church band if that helps. Since I live in Texas I can't just go and test them out. I have been playing Warwick basses for the last few years so the Bromberg model would be an easy switch but there is something about the SB models I really like.

I would like to know what I could expect from each one and what are the big differences between the 2. I am not looking for anyone to make a decision for me. I am just looking for as mush information as possible so I can make a good choice. Not that I could go wrong with either. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Anyone

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I retro fitted the SB-4000 onto my P-Bass. IMO it's the sweetest neck profile I've ever wrapped my left hand around.

4. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    SB is very Sadowsky-like. I have an SB5000 and it nails the Marcus Miller tone as well as conventional commercial Fender sounds. I use it on a lot of sessions.
    The B25 is a great bass, definitely more "active/boutique" in sound and vibe. They're both great choices IMO.

5. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    I went back and forth over these without being able to demo them. Both FS here in the classifieds. I chose the SB5000 because all the sound samples sounded so damn good, and the Bromberg is just not Rock & Roll. I am waiting for delivery later in the week!

6. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Gold Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I prefer the SB neck and tone - my usual basses are a Sadowsky and Lakland 5'er.

That being said, for music at the churches I play at, a 5 string bass does help. I seldom play below a low D and that is only once or twice per service but the ability to go across the neck just feels better to me except when I am playing a two-octave fill.

Dan K.

7. Guys thanks so much for your input. Based on sound clips I was leaning towards then SB series. Having Brian Bromberg on this site answering questions and asking how he can make his design better says a lot about a person and makes me want to support him. Same goes to you Mr.Vogt. I have your video series and it and it is the signal best bass product I have every purchased. I my have to just suck it up and fly out there for a day and just play them all. It is and extra $400 but it my be worth it.

8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Put your location in your profile and you may be able to find some local owners that'll let you play theirs.

9. Thanks I got that done. I am in San Antonio TX.

10. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Go to the Carvin Club thread and the SB4000/5000 threads and ask if anyone is in your area.

11. Brian Bromberg

Brian Bromberg

Sep 16, 2005
    Hey Fit4pain, thanks for the kind words. Even though the pick-ups and circuit board configuration is different between the SB basses and my B2's, their sound is in the same family. Both are active and have single coil Jazz Bass type sounds. Both basses sound great in funk, R & B and rock, country etc... In fact I was so impressed with the sound of the B2 basses that I completely re-cut all of my basses with the B2's when I released my Bromberg Plays Hendrix CD for the USA last year. It is a shredding rock fusion recording and the B2's sound great on it!

The biggest difference is that the B2's are neck though body basses and the SB basses are bolt on. Meaning the B2's are sleeker and more ergonomic, and the SB basses are more traditional and more like a Fender Jazz Bass. Apples and oranges. Both are great basses and you can't go wrong with either one! Good luck on your search man..............B2

12. Just Fingered

Just Fingered Gold Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2013
    So Cal
    I too would go with The Bromberg. I love my B25P,And yes it will and does Rock.

13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'll act the shill here. There's a used Bromberg 5 in the classified which I can personally vouch for.

Riis

14. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    All of this is true! Brian brought his bass out to my Fantasy Bass Boot Camp in 2012 and it sounded great. 4 of my returning campers showed up with B25s the next year. Live onstage at the Rutledge or in the studio at Sound Emporium they sounded great on everything from Latin and Blues to Hard Rock.

15. Thanks again for all the help. I have decided to fly out to San Diego for a day and try them all out in person. I fill like I am going to go with a B2. Just not sure if I want a 4 or 5. At some point I plan on having both but for now I really need to get my hands on one and just make a decision. And it is a good excuse to take a day trip and play in the candy store.

16. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Call ahead to make sure they're going to have what you want in stock.

17. I will and thanks for the heads up.