Carvin power amp & SWR cab - good match?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KlarkKent, Jun 25, 2002.

1. KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Sorry Just want some attention....can you guys help me with this please?

Buying my power amp and cab this weekend, looks like I have narrowed it down to the SWR Goliath III - 4 ohm. Is the Carvin 1000 Watt power amp a good match for it? You know plenty of headroom, blah, blah, blah....the SWR is rated at 700 max, here are the specs for the carvin.....

1000W bridged 4 ohms, 700W bridged 8 ohms. * Continuous RMS per CH: 8 ohms 225w, 4 ohms 300w, 2 ohms 500w. * Not rated "pulse power" or for a few minutes at 2 ohms like some amps * THD 20-20kHz @ rated 90% output: 0.1%, 50% ouput 0.03%. * High transparent 45v/us slew rate. Studio quality 100 dB S/N ratio. * INPUTS: 1/4" balanced and female XLR balanced. * OUTPUTS: 5-way binding post, Speakon(tm) and two 1/4". * Switches: limiters, ground lift, paralleling inputs, bridge mode. Recessed level attenuators, clip, signal, protect and power on indicators. * Soft-start, DC SpeakerGuard(tm), thermal and short circuit protection relays. Variable speed fan. Heavy-duty all steel construction. * Dynamic low frequency punch with transparent high-end for uncolored sound. * 2U rackmount 3.5"H x 10"D x 19"W, WT: 25 lbs.

I need your final blessing, oh and by the way.....for those who are thinking ..."not enough power dude", my plan will be buying another power amp when I go with a true subwoofer down the line.

Thanks for those who respond....very cool of you.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Sounds like a winning combination to me.
  3. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Klark, I changed the name of the thread to something more relevant - hopefully, more people will reply to it now.

And JMX... sorry, but after seeing your new avatar and message, I'm going to have to put you on my Ignore List now until the Brazillians kick your arses on Sunday. :mad::D
  4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Yes, that would work. I just got my Carvin DCM1500 in the mail and i think i will take the time to tell you that it is a great power amp! You can't beat it for the money, its better than some power amps i've tried out that were "Bass power amps".
    I have 1000 watts bridged at 8 ohms going into my Ampeg BXT 4x10 cab.. its rated 600 watts RMS 1200 peak and it handles it very well. I recommend it highly :)
  5. well, 1000 watts bridged at 4 ohms should be plenty of headroom for a 700w cab.

You might want to buy something a little more powerful NOW, instead of buying a SECOND poweramp down the road for a sub. Who the hell wants to lug around 2 poweramps? Not me :)

So what pre-amp will you be using? (not that it matters powerwise, just interested)

BTW, I recently got a QSC 1850HD - not their lightest model, but its plenty powerful and versatile. And on par with the cost of a Carvin if you know where to shop.

6. I don't have your exact setup, but close. I've had my DCM1000 for 8 months now and it's been working great with my Goliath II 8 ohm.

First gig I tried it at, the guitarist was complaining he couldn't hear himself. :D It's plenty loud for medium sized (100-200 people) venues.

OTOH, I agree with DiN. If you plan on more cabs down the road go ahead and get more power now if you can afford it. Good luck!