Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carvin power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Why_rock, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Why_rock

Why_rock

Apr 9, 2003
    East Texas
    how would you set up a carvin power amp with a preamp and would sound good

2. It depends on the kind of preamp your trying to use. Power amps tend to be pretty simple. Plug the guitar into preamp, preamp to power amp, and turn the gain up. Some poweramps have a bunch of different settings, but I just looked at Carvins quickly, and they look to be pretty simple.

The preamp is going to be where most of your setup is. I'm sure if you do a search for preamps, you'll find alot of good recommendations for Preamps, unless you already have one.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have a Carvin DCM1500 that I used with a bunch of preamps....it always sounded good!

4. Jerry, how do those Carvin power amps sound? I'm looking for a good cheap power amp to power monitors in a club, and I've heard good and bad about Carvin. Would you recommend them or not for a live setup?

5. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Thats what my Carvin does now....powers Monitors.
    I use QSCPLX's for my bass rigs now, but I've used the Carvin in a lot of different situations for over five years now...with no problems/ Knocks on wood;)

6. I've owned two Carvin power amps which have both failed on me and destroyed my speaker cabinets in the process. Another friend of mine has two of the newer carvin amps and one of them has failed already. They sound great until they start smoking.

7. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Mine did over three hundred gigs just as a bass poweramp.......I must have gotten very lucky;)
    What did they do to blow your speakers?

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I have done numerous gigs with my DCM 1500 running it through my Bassrig... it works great and doesn't color the tone at all... It sounds great to me... I like it alot

9. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    This sounds about right, IME, but I don't think it's luck. Daniel's UNlucky experience sounds like a rare occurence for these (usually) reliable amps.

10. Why_rock

Why_rock

Apr 9, 2003
    East Texas
    which amp do you use and how do you use it wiht a preamp

11. My DCM2000 has been bullet proof. It's an older model with the rack handles. I lugged it around in a bass rig for many years and now it's running the side fills at the church where I play.

Only changed it out for a QSC PLX due to the weight factor.

12. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I use an Alembic F1X preamp and a DCM1000 in bridged mode. Connect the preamp out to the channel 1 input of the amp. Run the speaker cable from the bridged output of the amp to the speaker input. Plug the bass into the preamp. That's about it. Oh, it's not a bad idea to have the amp zeroed when you first power up. Then adjust your levels.

13. EVERY TIME!!! Its been my experience that speakers get damaged when you don't start the amp levels at 0, every time you turn it on, and turn it back to 0 before you turn it off.

14. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I've had an R600 head (which has the same power section as the DCM600) for over two years and it's worked fine every time I've plugged it in.