Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin power amps for bass setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thumpinthenight, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Thumpinthenight

Thumpinthenight

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    I don't want to drag this around too much, but I'm real close to making the purchase of a Carvin DCM 1500 to run my SVP-PRO. This seems to be what I'm looking for and in my $ range. I just wondered if anybody has good or bad experience with Carvin power amps / service before I commit. I've only got 10 days to check it out. Thanx in advance.

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I've found Carvin power amps to be extremely reliable, extremely clean, and very robust (able to withstand considerable abuse). I've owned several of them, and currently own a DCM-2000 and an older model FET-1000. Also Carvin's service has been excellent, I've only had to use it twice, once after some physical damage occurred to the FET-1000, and the other time when the fan went out on the DCM-2000. That second time, I was playing a gig when the fan actually died, and when the amp started getting hot, it just gracefully shut itself off. I've done some terrible things to Carvin power amps, like shorting out the outputs, or plugging the outputs back into the inputs, and I've never succeeded in damaging them. The only time I've hurt one was when I dropped it off the top of a dolly full of gear. And even then, the only problem was that it hit the exact corner of one of the volume knobs, and the knob and the control had to be replaced. The rest of the amp was beat up but it still worked. IMO they're great little amps. The only problem with them is they're heavy. If you don't mind hauling the weight, then I can only say good things about them.

3. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    It's a great combination. Sounds great and mine has been very reliable.
    Rezdog

4. Go for it.I used an R 1000 head for a few years,it has the same power section as the DCM 1000 and it never gave me a bit of trouble.I ran it mostly bridged into 4 and 8 ohm loads and it never missed a beat.

5. Thumpinthenight

Thumpinthenight

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    Thanx for the input people. I called Carvin yesterday and a rep has confirmed the weight of the DCM-1500 is 26lbs. and 2U rack size. Apparently it was re-designed. Sounds good to me. :hyper:

6. twangchief

twangchief Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    I've used them for 20 years. No problems at all. I have an older one with the graphic on (HT760?). All of them had been stored in truck, gone through temperture extremes (-10 to 120+) and had been banged around by road crew.

Cheers,

twang~~~~

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I used to use a Carvin DCM-2000 with my bass rig, but switched to a used QSC PLX 3002 because it was so much lighter, and a rack space smaller. The Carvin sounded every bit as good as the QSC in my application, and I never had a problem with it, aside from its weight.

I'd like to see Carvin add the 30HZ cut-off filters, though. Those really work wonders in a bass application.

8. I've got a DCM1000 I've used on and off for the past 2 yrs. Sounds good, no problems.

9. wilder

wilder Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Denton, TX.
    I've been using a Carvin amp for 6 years with no problems.

Chris

10. joetheragman

joetheragman

Oct 4, 2004
    florida
    We just replaced on in our PA with a much bigger one and I bought the 1500 for my bass rig. It never gave a lick of trouble, and we would run big old giant woofers as a 2 ohm load and it kept right on a going. You really can't do any better.

11. I have a Carvin R1000 in for service right now because both poweramp sections in it died(one makes no noise and the other side is choppy and garbage sounding). and 2 of the 1/4" output jacks on the back of the amp have broken. had it close to two years. before the poweramp sections died it worked fine and held up great. not sure what caused the failure.

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've been running a carvin DCM2000 for just under 2 years now. I've ran it anywhere from bridging into 4 ohms to the 2 ohm loads per side. It works well. The catch-it's heavy. The other thing, the little push button on the back that does the bridging went away so i have to reach in there w/a screw driver to bridge or unbridge it. That's it though.

That's all

13. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    We've had a Carvin power amp (not sure of the model....I think an FET-1000) for our PA at practice and at some gigs for about 8 years. Never a problem and sounds great.

14. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I use a DCM1500 with my Bmax and it's a great power. I have the new ones that are 2U and 26lbs. It's very powerful and has Speakon outputs which I love.

I know that you'll love yours...