Carvin power amps good for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ErikKrueger, May 17, 2003.

1. hello,

im looking to sell off my gk1001rb head and a few other things for either a carvin r1000 series III head or an ampeg svp-pro and a carvin dcm 1000 power amp. i am wondering if the dcm 1000 is good for handle bass, even at pretty low tunings, and if it isnt could someone suggest a good power amp?

thank you
  2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    A lot of people around here use the Carvin DCM1000, from what I've read it seems to be a very nice, reliable, and inexpensive power amp. The only strike against it seems to be the fact that its power rating is a bit liberal.
  3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    I think almost any power amp is "good" for bass, it depends on what you put into it. Carvin power amps are reliable from what I know. I have a series II R600 bass head which I got for $200 on eBay, and while the preamp circuit has had problems that it needed to be taken into the shop for, nothing bad has ever happened with the power amp circuit.
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Excellent, but heavy.

FYI, I have one for sale in the "for sale" forum. Check it out.
  5. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Then does it make sense (if $ is no object) to just get the next model up to compensate for the power ratings?
  6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I used a DCM1500 for awhile to power my bass rig.........worked great!!!!
  7. I've got a DCM1000 that I used for bass for a while. It had plenty of power and has some novel convenience features like, 1/4, speakon, and banana output connectors with 1 dedicated speakon for bridged. 1/4 and XLR inputs. The DCM1000 is one of the lightest conventional power amps I've seen as well. (less than 30lbs). I do however, think the QSC RMX 1450 is more bang for the buck. jmho
  8. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    you said you wondered about power with lower tunings, i play ADADG and use a Carvin R1000, i would say that it works great. it has far surpassed any cabinet i have put it throug. id say the head is good for the money and evn better than some that are more expensive (i like it over an ampeg V-9 SVT)