Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carvin power amps peaking

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tdogg, Jun 19, 2001.

1. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    i have a carvin r 1000 head. i love it. but i was
    wondering about something. i know that when the
    pre-amp clip light flashes that that's bad. im not
    that dumb, but how bad is it when my peak lights on
    the power amps flash? i usually run with my volume
    and power amp levels all at about 5 and they peak occasionally. would i be better off running the power
    amps full on and turning the volume down? any advice is appreciated.

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    If I were you, I would indeed try turning the power amps up and the master volume down. That's not guaranteed to solve the problem, but it's worth a try. I say "problem," but you could argue that it isn't necessarily a problem unless (1) you hear audible distortion or (2) the amp goes into protect mode and shuts down.

3. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Yes, I have one, too. I play passive Fender basses (plugged into the passive input) and discovered that the preamp input was being overdriven on peaks when I had the gain at 5 (12 o'clock). I knocked it back to 3 (about 10 o'clock) and compensated on the power amp by cranking the channel gains up to around 7. I recommend setting the input so that it is not overdriven on your loudest playing, then set your other gains downstream for the volume you need.

The preamp is no longer overdriven, but I still sometimes clip the power amp. One factor that I'm suspicious of is the line voltage. If you are sharing power with other amps or appliances on the same circuit, outlet, or extension cord, the voltage can sag a bit, and I have a strong sense that this reduces the power point at which clipping starts. I went out and bought a very heavy extension cord for my rig to minimize the voltage drop, and I try to find at least a separate outlet for it, if not a totally separate circuit.

You can see the effect on voltage if you plug in a nightlight close to whatever you plug the amp into: it will momentarily dim on peaks, a sign that the amp is pulling down the voltage.

If your R1000 is feeding Carvin's bass speakers, you are probably also trying to overcome their inefficiency. They aren't that efficient, IMO, so it takes a lot of power to get loud output.

- Mike

4. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    thanx for the advice guys, i think im gonna turn up the power amps and the volume down, my gain is fine with my yamaha active bass. it doesnt clip at all any more. i cant really find out if it works yet because i cant turn up very far in my house because it shakes the whole house. so i'll mess around with it at my next gig...thanx again