Carvin power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Apr 25, 2001.

1. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    soo...are they as good as they seem like they would be?

i mean, 1000 watts for 400 bucks? and they're not built cheap either....

i think i'm gonna sell my 350 for an interstellar overdrive and a carvin DCM1000. i was going to get a mo bass but i just got access to a moogerfooger and octaver for free, and the IOD has distortion so my effects would be pretty much covered.

i guess that's the crappy thing about carvin...not being able to try stuff before you buy it, but if they just reproduce exactly what the IOD sends it that'd be fine.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I read a Carvin ad in Bassics which was a reprint of Gig Magazine's article on the "Prove It All Night" award they gave to the Cyclops.

It mentioned that the R Series bass amp heads use the same tech as their DCM amps. Moreover, it raved about the reliability of their power amps/bass and mentioned that one DJ the reviewer knows runs his DCM's 24 hrs a day at times. One person in a TB post mentioned he dropped his R series head and he was certain the fall (down some concrete steps, I think), meant no more amp. To his surprise, the only damage was cosmetic. One of the moderators at the Carvin board mentioned that Carvin periodically tests their amps by dropping them onto concrete from 6 ft.

Amazing how much of the cost/price can be avoided by not having a dealer/service network, ain't it? :D