Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by poundround, Jun 19, 2005.

1. poundround

poundround

Mar 8, 2005
    Lynchburg VA
    Well I decided that an Eden Navigator will be my preamp but I need a power amp. I was looking at the Carvin DCM1500. Could anyone say if this combination is a good idea.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I powered my Eden Nav with a Carvin DCM2000 for a little more than a year. A fine power amp, but its heavy as hell. I got tired of struggling with it in my 6 space rack (with a rack tuner and Furman power module) so I got a QSC PLX 3002. Sounds the same to me, and a LOT louder.

I did have a small issue with the Carvin amp though. The slotted "thing" on the front face of the power amp is a separate piece, and would occassionally rattle. I fixed it with a small double-folded piece of black construction paper to isolate the vibration. Not a problem, but iseparate parts like that should be better engineered into the power amp, IMO.

3. DanBuck

DanBuck

May 29, 2005
    North Haven, CT.
    Well, I have a Carvin DCM1000, but with a BBE Bmax pre, and its a fine amp. Quiet, good power, been using it for a year now - no problemo....
    DAN

4. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Carvin pwr amps are ok in my book, heavy but they deliver...

~S~

5. The newer model DCM1500 is excellent. Carvin redesigned it and fit the same amp into 2 rack spaces, and they were already only 10" deep. They even lowered the price by $20 or so. It's a very compact and powerful amplifier.

I've used one for a year now, and have no complaints at all. For the money, it's the king.

6. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I had owned Carvin R600 ,R1000,and 1000watt poweramp within about a years time.To my ear they were grossly underpowered. I did a side by side test with my first year GK RB 800, and the RB was louder,and cleaner than all of the Carvins. The Carvins had great tone and flexibility,but if it can't put the watts out that it's supposed to,this it's un usuable. I would suggest doing an a/b comparison before you get a Carvin.

7. they don't use the same poweramp as the carvin dcm's.

i have a dcm2000 and trust me it's very reliable and powerful and i don't really think it's that heavy. do some pushup's guys.

8. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I had a DCM300 I bought new in 1982. I used it for house PA, monitors, headphones, in my living room stereo, you name it. At the point that I sold it 2 years ago it had been in the shop once, for a speaker wire that came adrift inside the case. I replaced it with a DCM1500, and I'll be very shocked if it isn't cranking out 20 years from now. The new ones are smaller (2RU vs 3) and lighter and quite a bit more powerful. They are a stone bargain.