Carvin Power Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pickslide, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Pickslide

Oct 29, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Anyone out there use them? My son has succeeded in making the Dean's List at college AGAIN, & I'd like to reward him for his efforts. For my Guitar equipment, I have all Mesa, but I've been looking at other brands & Carvin strikes my fancy. He plays a Fender, maybe 2001, or 2002 P MIA P bass, & up until this time, he's been using an Ampeg B-100R amp.
    When he graduates in June, I'd like to surprise him when he gets home with some really nice equipment. I am wondering how the Fender 300 Pro, head stacks up against say a seperate Pre/Power amp setup. That might be either the Fender TBP-1 or Ampeg SVP-CL into one of the Carvin Power amps.
    Unfortunately, I don't live close to any dealer that would have either the Fender or Ampeg products in stock to compare against each other.
    Any & all suggestions, comments appreciated.
  2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    All other things considered, a pre-amp/power amp combination is considered more of a "pro" setup, offers more modular flexibility of gear, etc. Carvin has a solid reputation of bang for the buck, and will certainly represent a more modern alternative to a Fender head...

Since the Carvin power amps are solid-state, be sure to get one with plenty of headroom - like, a good 3-4 times as much as you might use for g**t*r at a comparable volume level. What kind of cabs does he have? Power ratings? 4-ohm or 8-ohm?

3. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Don't believe that for a second. That old myth never dies.

Carvin amps also have opto limiters - so they can get to full volume and let you control the distortion/clipping.

Check out for preamps and sound clips.

If you want him to stay on the Dean's list - you need to discourage him from rock-n-roll. So maybe buy in a nice double bass instead. (We know this if for yourself anyhow)
  4. Pickslide

Oct 29, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    No cabs yet, he just has the Ampeg B-100R for an amp. The odd thing to me anyway, the local music stores around the area have a better selection of cabs than they do Amps....go figure.
  5. Jeff A

Jeff A

Oct 22, 2005
    I'm running the Fender TBP-1 into a Carvin DCM1500 into an Aguilar GS412. The preamp is easy to use and has quite a few features. All of this equipment has been 100% dependable, so far.

I couldn't be happier with the sound. I had a number of people come up to me during the course of my last gig. They all commented on the sound (things like full, clear, could hear every note, etc.). I never got responses like that with my previous gear. :)
  6. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    A Fender 300 Pro is a very different proposition to a setup with a solid state Carvin power amp, in my opinion, tubes for the win every time, go with something like the 300 Pro. It depends what kind of music your son is playing though. Whilst I can see the advantages, often rack systems become heavy and more of a pain to cary than their intergrated counterparts. People complain about the weight of tube amps but forget that by the time you've got a good solid rack, a pre and a power amp you're still looking at something rather heavy.
  7. Used to use an Ampeg SVP preamp into a Carvin DCm (1200?1500?). Good stuff.
  8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Headroom isn't actually more important with a solid state amp than a tube amp? Even though solid state amps tend to generate nasty square-wave distortion when overdriven, rather than the smooth harmonic distortion of a tube amp??? Limiter or no limiter?

9. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    That's right. (most all) SS amps stay linear up to clipping. Some Old SS designs had unstable feedback when they clipped and added extra distortion. "Old designs." (most all) SS amps clip cleanly, but limiters keep them from clipping if you don't want it.

As far as distortion/harmonics go - take a look here.

Hop over to and you'll hear you can get a good sound out of a preamp, but the power amp needs to be transparent to get that preamp sound out to the speakers.
  10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You could consider a Carvin B1500 head.
  11. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    You should consider a Carvin B1500 head.
  12. You would consider a Carvin B1500 head.
  13. I have always been a fan of Carvin stuff.

and this is just plain sexy!

100 Watts Tube'd.
  14. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004

That is one good looking amp. Wish they made other amps in that style.
  15. joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I use an Ampeg SVP-CL into a DCM1000 Carvin, and I love it!
    Best amp I've ever owned. Lots of good clean power. I would say buy one.
  16. Anyone have experience with this amp?
  17. I hope you are being sarcastic. This is like ultimate music blasphemy.
  18. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Yes I was. (I'm just smiley face impaired. I can barely stand how many are used around here. They lost their usefulness for me)

It's really just the opposite. Scientific studies have indicated that music helps students to be better students overall. But really, nobody on this board would believe Scientific studies over their gut feel. (insert smiley here)
  19. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Good for you. Supportive parents are a great thing.

What does you son want to do musically after college? What type of music does he like to play? Will he want to gig a lot with a band or just play at home and at the ocassional jam session?

I had a preamp/poweramp set up once. I found it to be way more gear then I needed, and more than I wanted to lug around.

There are many options out there and folks here at TB have tried them all. Let us know more about your son's music situation and I'd bet you'll get some great advice.
  20. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Bahaha, if this is in reference to your anti-tube bigotry, that's just made my day. People will belive scientific studies if they have any credibility. If anyone goes with their gut feeling it's you.