Carvin Power Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Corallo, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    I'm looking for a new power amp for my rig. I'm using an Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp. At first I looked at Crown (Ce 1000) and then saw some bad posts about the lower line Crown amps plus there were no limiters built into them. Mackie started looking better, but a sales person at Guitar Center said that he's had thermal problems with Mackie and that he wouldn' recommend the line. He liked QSC products. When asked about Carvin, he said that Carvin wasn't professional.......(I'm not sure what that means). I looked at Crest but didn't see a lot of experience on this board in a bass rig. Carvin seems to be a good deal. I'm looking at a DCM 1500. Does anyone have real life gigging experience with the Carvin?
  2. my guitarist uses a 1000 watt power amp to power his full stack, along with a POD. it works fine for him. also, at our practices we use his power amp to power our mixer and speakers too. it works fine there as well. i'm afraid i have no bad news for you.
  3. a carvin 1000 wat power amp***********

hehe oops
  4. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I use a Carvin DCM2000 poweramp. Very nice, very clean, I get no heat running max on 1 channel, and it sounds great. Sure its 40 pounds, but tone is more important. Go with TOROID circuitry.
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, that Mackie thing is a new one on me, just so you know, all the anecdotal evidence I got about the FR series is the opposite.
  6. For what it's worth, the guys at L.A. Bass Exchange swear by Crest (the amps, not the toothpaste).
  7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Peavey owns Crest. Has done so for the past three years. I've been kind of looking at those Carvin power amps myself. I don't have any personal experience with them but the price is outstanding!
  8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    1. Do a search. This has come up before.

2. Salespeople in music stores always say that kind of stuff about Carvin gear (guitars, basses, and amps as well as pro/live audio stuff), whether it's true or not. That's mainly because they don't sell it and can't make any money off it. Whether a given piece of Carvin gear is as good as or better than the other stuff it competes with will vary depending on whom you talk to, but it's at least worth considering. There was very likely a strong element of either self-interest or ignorance in that salesman's comment.
  9. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    carvin stuff isn't professional?

oh, crap. looks like i have to sell it and buy a crest. :rolleyes:

seriously, i don't know how anything could be "better" than my carvin. it's very powerful, has good features, reliable, and reproduces what comes into it perfectly. i'd like to know what makes all those other amps better?

10. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    To be fair, the sales persons bias against Mackie was due to his use of the amps while running sound in large venues, not from using the brand in a bass rig. He had good things to say about QSC and had some power amps at the store. The problem was their pricing was more than I wanted to spend - they wanted $499 for a RMX 1450. For $439, I could get a DCM 1500 that has a little bit more power. Yesterday, Musicians Friend catalog came in the mail. They're selling the RMX 1450 for $399. Decisions, decisions......

As for Carvin, I still don't understand what makes a brand more professional. Timothy Schmidt of the Eagles plays 2 Carvin basses on the Hell Freezes Over concert. I guess he's not professional......

By the way, I did do a search on the DCM series. The response was like what we have had here. I guess if we all liked the same power amps, we could all hug and sing kumbiya :D
  11. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    Before I bought my Eden I used a Carvin power amp. Now I use the same 1000w amp to drive our monitors. I think the worst thing about carvin is that they are only mail order and you don't get to touch and feel before you buy. They do have a 30 day return policy which somebody I know that needed a bass while his was in the shop took advantage of (not cool). But as far as my experience they work great.
  12. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    GC will match any advertised price from a catalog or printed out from a website, at least they've matched the price every time I tried to do that. About the guy not liking Carvin, well they're not gonna recommend something they don't sell. :D
  13. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I have been using a dcm1500 with an SVP-PRO for a while now and its performed perfectly and it seems to me one of the cleanest amps I have heard. I would buy it again.