Carvin Power Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4String_Ninja, Nov 22, 2000.

1. 4String_Ninja

Aug 14, 2000

I was looking at carvins site and saw their power amps and how good the prices were for th amount of watts they pushed. Are these things worth the money, how are they compared to QSC? Any comments will be appreciated.

2. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I haven't bought a Carvin power amp, but have bought their bass amps and a powered mixer. They are pretty good. Based on specifications, my guess is that QSC's amps (especially their more expensive lines) are of somewhat better quality. However, Carvin gives a lot of watts per dollar. That said, in my view, Carvin somewhat overrates the power output of their amps by measuring power at 1 kHz and a higher distortion figure than some other manufacturers. I estimate *clean* power output at 80-85% of their claimed power. So if I get a 1000 watt (claimed) amp, I'd expect about 800-850 watts of clean power over the whole audio range. While that may be a factor in your comparison, remember that it amounts to about 1 dB SPL. While I don't have one, the Carvin DCM2000 power amp would probably push at least 1600 clean watts bridged into 4 ohms. That's a good deal for $600 + shipping.

- Mike
  3. noweapon

Feb 10, 2000
    I have the "Cyclops" combo witch has a r600 head...Its rated at 600 wts @ 4 ohms bridged. Now, some might saw that Carvin pumps up their power ratings, but from my experience they are true to their claims....This thing is pretty loud. It has a 15, Two 8's and a horn. The 600 and 1000 heads are good bang for your buck...probably the best BFYB will come across in terms of amps. They dont make the best stuff but they do make quality products