1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin Poweramp Died Help!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkyfretless, Sep 16, 2008.

1. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    hey guys,
    i have a dcm 1000 by carvin. its a good power amp, nothing fancy just power. i leave my rig at this church i play. anyway, i go to turn it on sunday morning and it doesn't turn on. no light no nothing. it was plugged up to a rack rider, so i took everything out and tried different power cables, but still no luck. what should i do. is it the fuse..? if so isn't that expensive to fix?

thanks,
    evan

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No way for any of us to know by "long distance". Take it in to a shop.

3. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    i know that but i dont have any bread to fix it and ive got some electric gigs comin up.

4. Have you checked the fuse?

5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    If you send it back to Carvin, be prepared to wait 3-5 weeks. :(

6. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    yeah i think its the fuse.
    how do i go about checking it and to see if its bad or not?

thanks
    evan

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Fuses are super cheap. Just buy a pack of new ones (make sure you get the right kind!!!) and swap one in.

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Fuses generally blow because of a severe problem in the amp, to prevent further damage.

Keep in mind that if there is a severe problem, just putting in a new fuse and turning the amp on may cause more damage before the new fuse blows.

9. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Generally, poweramps don't just go out on their own. Most times it is user error. It can be someone who used it while you were not there, because you say it just sits at the church. Lots of curious fingers in those places, at least at the ones I've been to. Carvin makes great power amps, and they seldom fry. Most cases, it's nothing more than a speaker cable, that has gone to ground. Do a check of all of your cords, first of all. Chances are, thats where the problem lies. A cord that was tripped over, and the plug end bent and, now grounding out. That happens most often. Check anywhere, where other fingers have been, and thats where your problem usually is. Good Luck!

10. You did make sure that the actual power amp is switched on? I have mine connected in a similar way to yours. It too failed to work when I switched the power bar on. Did the same as you but eventually found that the power amp itself had been turned off which is something I never do. I kicked my self a few times and got on with the gig.

Paul

11. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    i took it out of the rack and tried several power cables but alas nothing still. its not getting any power.

any ideas,
    evan

12. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

If a new fuse blows, the amp needs repair.

If you have no money, then it won't get repaired.

If you have no working amp, then you have to borrow or rent one for your gigs.

This isn't rocket science...

13. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    When did you buy it? Carvin has a 3 year warranty.

14. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Sure! Open the back or top of the unit up, and grab onto the largest cannister shaped components in there. Now with your other hand, take a straightened-out coat hanger, and stick it in the nearest wall socket.

If that doesn't solve things pronto, then I'd take Rick's advice.

15. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    no need to be a *******.. sorry i'm not an "amp expert" i'm just to busy gigging and practicing and not spending countless hours on a bass webpage.

16. Play at a church eh?

17. Yo, dude, chill with the A-hole talk. What do you want us to do, fix your amp on your own. Were not there, your the one with the problem, people here have given you all the advice you can expect.:eyebrow:

Also, if your gigging as much as you say you are and I gig alot, I always have a backup. Where's your's when you need it. Equipment malfunctions, it's a part of gigging, be prepared. Sounds like your not.:smug:

18. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    i play upright as my main bread. i use a walter woods, but i dont perticaully care for it with my electric. sorry to use that language, but i kinda needed help and the fellower tber was being very snide.

sorry and seriously thanks,
    evan

19. MHensleyJr

MHensleyJr Supporting Member

May 5, 2008
    Redlands, CA
    No need to be calling people names...:scowl:

20. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Enough tit for tat, have you checked the fuses?