Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carvin poweramp ohm question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DeepDeath, Aug 4, 2003.

1. I have a Carvin DCM2000, I'm not sure if I put a 4ohm cab to each speaker input, if it would drop down to 2ohm stereo. Even if its not bridged because bridged it can only handle 4ohms.

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The DCM2000 is rated to 2 ohms per channel stereo. You will be fine with a separate 4 ohm load on each channel.

3. That wasn't what I was asking, I WANT A 2OHM LOAD. So if I connect a 4ohm cab to each speaker input would it drop to 2 ohms.

4. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Two 4ohm speakers into each channel will give you a 2ohm load.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    This would only yield a 4 ohm load into each channel. If you want a 2 ohm load, hook the two 4 ohm cabs into the SAME channel.

6. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Why?

I don't understand why some people here want to milk every last possible watt out of their amps. This is hard on the amp. You risk overheating it or triggering the overload protection.

If you really want a 2 ohm load per channel, get two more 4 ohm cabs, and hook up two to each channel.

Better yet, get an amp that's specifically designed for that kind of abuse, like the QSC RMX 1850HD. I don't have anything against Carvin, but judging from other people's comments, I would be leery about working one of their amps that hard.