Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Poweramps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jim primate, Jan 25, 2004.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

does anyone here use/own a carvin DCM series power amp for their bass rig? i just came across these and the price to power ratio seems reasonable. lemme here some details.

2. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    A DCM 1000 bridged into a pair of 8 ohm cabinets has served me well for two or three years now. The DCM 1000 is a two space amp. The new catalog says the 1500 is now a two spacer also (but 34 lbs. vs. 25) If you needed more than 1500W, the three rack-space occupation may be an issue. But if you want a small megawatt amp that you can carry in one hand... well, you know the rest.

The fan on my 1000 is very quiet, the weight is acceptable, and it hasn't needed servicing. No regrets about my purchase.

3. I own 3 Carvin poweramps...dcm 2000, 1500, and 750t. I've owned them for 3 1/2 years with no problems on any amp. I'll probably get the new 2 space 1500 or the 1000 eventually. Carvin amps are heavy, but have been reliable for me. I recommend them.

4. torqueflite

torqueflite

Jun 21, 2003
    Otis Co. USA
    Have oened a Carvin 1500 for 3 years in my bass rig. It always works and sounds very good. Most recomened.

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've had the DCM 2000 for a few months now. I like it. Enough power that I for once don't want a bigger amp. I'm not running it to any where near it's potential though-only running a single 8 ohm cab so it's only putting out 425 according to the specs. However, I can just go out and buy another 8 Ohm cab and be doing 2k watts @ 4 ohms. :D That's all

6. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I have been wanting a DCM1000 and a Tech21 Sansamp RBI to put in my 4space rotox short rack. I think total weight would be under 40 lbs, even with a surge strip. I could carry that in one hand, and a light cab in the other. I think I would be very happy with that. I don't know if it would be better than my GK1001RB, but it would be usefull. It doesn't look like many people have problems with the carvin poweramps, as long as you don't try to get them down to 2 ohms mono.
    Wes

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Wes, I'm running a DCM 2000 with a SansAmp RBI and really enjoy it. The range of tones is huge. When i'm playing the Ray5 I'm learning that i like it more and more w/the blend set to just the Ray5 signal. That's all

8. thrasher717

thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    I just bought a DCM1500 to replace an old Carvin FET1000 in my bass rig. Our PA is powered by six DCM2000s -- three years now without a problem.

I was considering Crown and QSC RMX but I bought the Carvin because you can't beat the features for the price. It's considerably lighter than the QSC RMX and much less expensive than the QSC PLX. The crown only has XLR input while the Carvin has XLR and 1/4" inputs.

9. thrasher717

thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    I have the same set-up, except the 1500 instead of the 2000. I also find that I prefer the sound with the blend set almost completely to just the Ray5.

10. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I used to run a Carvin DCM-2000 to power my subs. It was a very reliable amp. In five years (or so) of daily use, the only thing that ever happened to it was that the fan broke, and Carvin replaced it for free. That was rather annoying actually, since it happened during a gig, and even though the amp did exactly what it was supposed to do (went into thermal protection mode and shut itself down), I lost my subs for about half an hour.

My only real complaint with it is that it's too darn heavy. These days I'm using a Stewart World 2.1, it's 2100 watts at 17 pounds. Much better for my back!

11. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Hopefully the 1000 is a good compromise between the stewert 2.1 weight, and the weight of the DCM1500. I think it is around 26 lbs, and most importantly, is only 10" deep. I want it to fit in the SKB roto-x short rack. The stewart is deeper than the rack will hold. Still, it's a great amp.
    I don't want to steal this thread, but while we are at it, would anyone find the DCM 1001 EQs usefull enough to purchase that amp instead. It has the same power ratings at the DCM1000, but has dual channels of what appear to be very usable EQs. Not sure if it would be worth the extra $90 for it, especially with the 3 bands tha come in the RBI. There are a couple of sliders in the 20Hz,40Hz, and 60Hz area, as well as the usual ones above 80 Hz. Not sure if you can use the EQ in bridged mode or not. I actually think they revamped that amp and called it a 1015 in my new Carvin book, but I couldn't verify this info from the info on that is currently on the web site, so I will check when I get home.
    Wes

12. Kindness

Kindness

Oct 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I run a pair of ACME Low B-II's using a DCM 2000. It's heavy and I do get some fan noise (you'd never hear it at a gig, just at low level "bedroom" volumes), but it has been gigging with me for a year now without any problems. I'm 100% satisifed.

13. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Are you running 2 unbridged channels to those Acmes?

14. Kindness

Kindness

Oct 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I have two 4-ohm cabs, so I either run them in stereo at 700 watts/side or I run one cab in bridged mono at 2000 watts. In either case, I don't come close to pushing the amp to full power. I have plenty of volume for any situation I play in. In fact, even in the loudest circumstances that I play (5-6 piece rock band with reasonably loud drummer), bringing the second cab along is overkill. Then again, sometimes it just looks cooler. ;)

15. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    So a 1000 would probably suffice, especially driving 1 B2 only...? I have always kept a spot in my basement for the B2, but I always thought I would need a huge power amp to do it right. I don't really need crazy volume because I have good PA support, just tone.

16. Kindness

Kindness

Oct 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Without knowing exactly what your requirements are, 1000 watts into a B-2 with solid PA support should do just fine.

In my book, if you are just looking for tone and not tons of volume (just stage volume), one B-2 elevated to about chest level is ideal.

17. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I keep coming back to this setup over the past year. I guess it is time to act on it. Time to get rid of some unused stuff I guess.

Oh, the only time I need volume is during practice with one of my bands. Heavy Handed drummer, but I really don't need to be the loudest guy in the room anyhow...

Tone and Portability are my main goals here.

Thanks,
    Wes

18. Pete

Pete

Jan 3, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm using a Qsc rmx1450 with a bass pod pro for one set-up into an eden 410xlt. I run it it stereo with one side pushing 450 @ 4ohm. I don't need more than 300w, so headroom isn't an issue. Plus the fact that the 1/4 out's are -10db I know I have a lot of headroom.

The carvins are a little lighter but not as bang for the buck as the 1450 (or any QSC RMX). Personally, I'm moving this amp back to my PA rig to run monitors and I'm gonna use an Electro-voice 2.0kW (925W per side @ 4 ohms, 25lbs!). I like the lighter weight. If I had to do it again with the QSC, I'd dropped the cash for a PLX2402 or 3002. Big difference in quality and price though. All are 2space models and reliable as hell.

pete

19. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I've been curious about this too. It would save a few pounds and a rack space. I just added a Rane 31 band EQ to my rig, but so far I think it's overkill. If you can live with a 9 band EQ, the DCM1001 seems like a nice package. As far as bridging, I'm pretty sure the channel 1 sliders would be engaged in bridge mode.

20. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I'm running an Ampeg SVP and a Bass pod into a 1500 and have had only one problem with it. Once upon a time at practice we were using the second channel as the PA power amp, and it was clipping quite a bit with very little volume. But then we hooked up my old Peavey Mark III and another old Peavey amp (200w and 130w respectively) and it's much louder, strange.