1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin Poweramps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emjazz, Apr 30, 2006.

1. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Anyone have any experience with the Carvin poweramps? What's the skinny?

2. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Never used one for bass... yet.

But for front of house, they are just simple power amps. Never tried to push subs with the, but we do push a pair of peavey SP15's every week with them. Like i said, they are simple amps, nothing special.

Far more impressed with QSC PLX series. They are lighter, and as far as i can tell, MUCH more powerful

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I used a DCM 2000 with my bass rig for a little over a year. It was a heavy power amp, sounded every bit as good as my QSC PLX 3002, which is much lighter.

The only problem I had with the Carvin was the front "grill" would rattle from the bass vibrations with the rack on top of my cabs. The grill was a separate metal piece, and the rattling drove me nuts. It was easily fixed with a small piece of construction paper folded and lodged between the grill and the main face of the amp. A simple but annoying design faux paux.

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm considering the DCM 1000 which is only 25lbs or so.

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'll vouch for the DCM1000. Most of the time I used it, it saw the sub 120hz signal that I sent to a Yamaha 1x18 PA sub (for bass!). On top was an Avatar 2x10.

As a more interesting rig, I used it bridged into the 1x18 (fullrange this time) with a GK 200MB combo on top. Interesting!

I never had a lick of trouble with this amp. It is pretty light, easy to use, and always reliable.

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Eric, question.........are you able to take the rack ears off of the DCM1000? I can't tell from the pics.

7. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I don't think you can, I think they're integrated into the chassis. I haven't taken mine out of the rack since I bought mine (DCM 1500) 3 years ago (never had a need to). The only thing about them, is the price to weight ratio.

8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Rack ears are attached.

9. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i had a DCM1000 as well for my bass amp. sounded great and never had a single problem out of it.

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    bump.

11. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Whats the difference between the HD and DCM power amps??

12. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Hey emjazz-

I have both an F150 and a DCM1500- both excellent.

The DCM1500 is a little bit heavier than the DCM1000, but is probably the best choice. It's still 2 rack spaces and 10" deep. If you go to the DCM2000, then you are into the 3 space designs.

If you have any specific questions about the DCM1500, post them here or PM me. I've had mine two years now.

.. MV

13. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    HDs do not have limiting, Speakon outputs, or input paralleling. DCMs (above the DCM150) do.

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Michael, thanks for chiming in. Have you been able to compare the Carvin amp to other poweramps? I'm finding that some poweramp sound loud but don't have any authority. How would you describe the Carvin to other amps?

15. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I've also owned a QSC 1400 and a Carver M-2.0t, as well as played through a couple of other more recent era SS poweramps. So, I don't have a ton of comparative experience to offer. I will say that the DCM1500 is as described in the Bass Player amp shootout of a few years ago- which led me to buy this newer model 1500. Yes, it has that feeling of authority to it that we bass players look for, and recognize when we hear/feel it. There is no brittleness, just a flow to notes, going from loud to soft, high notes to low. It has scary punch, going from a soft note to a smashed-hard note with accurate dynamic contrast.

I consider the amp, with all of a variety of preamps that I own, warm, dynamic and, again, authoritative.

16. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I have an older DCM 1500. It is the 3 space one from about 6 years ago.. It sounds tight, fast reactiong to transients, smooth, clean silky top. All around great amp. Never had a problem. It will do 2 ohms per side too. or 4 ohms mono. It is loud and punchy. I use a 1977 vintage Alembic F2B preamp with it..

17. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    We have used two DCM 1500's that we use to run the monitors at church. Been in the rack for five years and we haven't had any problems.

18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I have a older DCM1500 laying around here somewhere that I gigged heavily with, mainly when I was using Acmes and Eden cabs. I thought it had great punch and was reliable as hell!

19. decent from what i hear.. but i have no exp with them

20. lhoward

lhoward

Apr 27, 2003
    Western NY State
    I've owned the more recent 2-U version of the DCM1500 for about two years and use it when I play larger venues. I use an Eden WP-100 preamp, stereo graphic EQ, and drive two 15" cabs using JBL E-145s with horns. Its also my practice rig at home (only 1 cab) and has been 100% reliable, and as MichaelVee said, it has a feeling of authority in its sound. The following link is an interesting intro to amps and power: http://www.rocketroberts.com/techart/powerart_a.htm