1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

carvin preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pumo420, May 4, 2002.

1. pumo420

pumo420

Nov 2, 2001
    illinois
    i was wondering how many of you like the carvin preamps?

im planning on supping up my slamer made by hamer and adding a jazz pickup with the carvin active passive preamp.

2. Its OK by my vote. For an extra 20 dollars you can get a Duncan 3 band with contour switch. I think its a lot better then the carvin. most of what I dislike about the carvin is the board mounted pots and the amount of gear they require. Duncan and Aguliar can both get monster tone without normal pots and a much smaller circut board.

3. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The current Carvin preamp isn't bad. Older versions used more chips (read: had shorter battery life) and had a funky design that sucked tone and added noise. The current version is nice and quiet.

The mid tone control is pretty useful; it adds "thump" to the low-mids where the bass tone control adds "rumble". Battery life shouldn't be an issue for most players; if it is, you can just pull up on the volume knob and go passive.

The only real gripe I have with it is the quality of the controls.